GTX 970 doesn't correctly line up with expansion slots in case

Hey guys

I'm currently in the process of building myself a computer (my first build ever), though I've been having a bit of trouble installing my GPU (one of these). It fits into the PCI-E slot on the motherboard just fine, though it doesn't quite line up with the expansion slots on the back of the case. All the display connections (HDMI, etc) line up with the expansion slot holes just fine, but the end of the bracket that the screws go into is about 4 or 5 mm away from the screw holes in the case. (I don't have any pictures currently sorry. If they would help to illustrate what I mean, please let me know). Is this anything to worry about, or would it be fine to screw it in anyway (without applying too much pressure) and see if it works?

Hopefully that all makes sense. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Cheers
Amon Rudh

pics would be helpful. even low resolution cellphone ones.

It should be fine to screw it in, I've had similar problems. As long as it's in the slot and it's secured enough that it won't fall out then you're okay.

Here you go. I've included one with the ruler on my multi-tool for scale.

Oh I thought you meant it didn't line up the other way, that looks like you haven't got the card seated properly. Try putting the bracket end of the card in first, line it up with the gap between the case and motherboard and then insert the rest of it in to the slot.

Ah okay. Will give that a try and see what happens.

It's worked! Thank you kindly good sir :)

1 Like