GTX 660 - Horizontal Lines on Screen?

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, apologies in advance. I recently bought a GTX 660 video card for a budget build and everything seems to be working fine. I have been playing new games maxed out with no issues at all. There is, however, a strange phenomenon. Whenever I am looking against a dark background, I can see random horizontal lines moving about the screen appearing and disappearing rapidly, along with some slight static-like effects. I think it may have to do with the fact that I am using a DVI to VGA adapter. I don't have another monitor to test my theory out...so if someone could give me an idea of what is causing this and/or if I should return the GTX 660, that would be great. I can also sometimes see these lines in-game (all my games) and they are noticeable. I'm not sure if it's the DVI-VGA adapter or the video card, or something in-between. I know the monitor is good because I use my laptop on the same monitor occasionally, and no lines appear. This happens in game and on the desktop. I have checked my GPU temps and they are normal. The 6-pin PCI-E connector is properly connected to the GPU. The adapters are fixed properly to the monitor and GPU. The monitor is VGA. Thanks for reading - James

MSI GTX 660 OC 2GB 
AMD FX 6300 
8GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz 
MSI G46-970A Motherboard

EVGA 600w PSU

---UPDATE---

I used a DVI Monitor and the problem went away instantly. The VGA Adapter was the problem. YES!

Make sure all connections are properly fitted, reinstall drivers, run at stock voltage/clock speed. See if any of that helps. Usually lines like that do mean you have a faulty card.

it happens with my GTX 660 too, i don't think its that big of a deal though, as i haven't had anything else odd happen in the 3 months I've had the card. However i have noticed that if i under-clock the card just a little, nothing that affects performance in any of my games, it reduces itself a little.

i'm also using the DVI to VGA adapter.

Hmm..interesting. Your right it's not a big deal, but after planning this build for 6 months it's a little disappointing to see anything go wrong! I am having a friend bring over his monitor to see what is going on...I will share the results on here. Thanks for the feedback. At least I'm not the only one with this issue.