GTX 460: Nostaliga

Too long, don’t want to read : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtbLn7wLAPk

Before we get into the dusty GTX 460, let me tell you a story. There’s a type of nostalgia that computer parts being especially if they were with you in the beginning. Anyone who’s obsessed with computers remembers the summers, the winters, the restless school nights messing around with dumb programs, playing games and especially your parents coming in and telling you to go outside. My parents were really strict about computers and game consoles, since my grades were usually pretty bad and I was crazy about that stuff. Going outside was a rare thing for me haha.

But this isn’t no ordinary GTX 460. This GTX 460 is Steves. Steve has been one of my friends since 8th grade and it was the conversation that led us to being friends. We were at one of the tables in science class and I overheard something about counter-strike. I shit my pants, I wasn’t super into counter-strike but I was fascinated with PC gaming. To me it seemed like out of reach with my piece of shit machine, so I had to ask what his specs were.

He says blah, blah, blah. GTX 460. I was like holy fuck, this guy’s got a GTX 460??? That was godly to me since at the time, my machine was a really old xeon machine with DDR1 memory and a 32mb AGP card. We ended up talking some more and we become friends.

But me and steve were talking about when we first met and he said that he thought I was a complete douche, which is fucking hilarious to me. That’s how I feel with everyone, I feel creepy and douchey when I meet people, so at least that gives me some support to that idea.

But what was hilarious though is that I remember coming into steve’s room in the summer it was 90 degrees, his room is getting torched by his shitty amd athlon quad core and his 460 crammed into this small hp case. He would always be playing battlefield and TF2.

Eventually after a while me and him end up upgrading our systems and we both got GTX 560 TIs.

A year later after we met, it ends up in Stevens computers, our other friend, which happens to be named Steve. He used it for a summer or two, blasting away at TF2 and video editing and eventually ended up on his wall.

Fast forward several years later and it’s still on his table, clueless to whether it works or not. It’s been dropped, handled like shit and even been through him moving houses. I’ve been using this crappy GPU in my main machine and Steven said sure, so we tested it out and BAM. It’s working. It made this horrific noise when it was first powered on. There was something stuck in the fan but it quickly got blown out once the fans got up to speed and the machine posted with the card. I think everyone underestimates the durability of computer parts. It’s either really fragile or a tank, the GTX 460 is a tank for sure.

But I’ve been using it in my desktop machine for gaming and video editing and I’ve had absolutely no problems with it, sometimes you don’t need a GTX 1080 to have fun.

3 Likes

" you don’t need a GTX 1080 to have fun."

This statement is so true and lately I have been watching a YouTube channel called Phil’s Computer Lab that was just a reminder of that. Something is to be said for using older hardware when playing games from the same era the older hardware came out.

As for being attached to hardware for various reasons I told my son that I will never sell the first build I made for him. It is not being used at the moment but it still sits there as a reminder of good times and bad times but also as a reminder of something I actually did right. LOL! So yeah I get the nostalgia and all that stuff.

3 Likes

I still have an old 8800GTS 320 MB as well as a GTS450 somewhere. Not in a working machine, that has Crossfire RX Vega 64. Yes, i’m nuts.

I never really sell old cards, i just throw them out at some point. Obviously not often.

1 Like

Same for me unfortunately. :smiley:

I have a bucket of old cards going back all the way to a Riva TNT 2 and a ATI Rage XL :sunglasses:
A lot of those cards I never bought when new, but rather have accumulated over the years.

1 Like

*Nostalgia

I still have an HD6950 that’s used as a test card, I recently acquired a GTX 460, and I could probably get the HD5770 back from my brother.

Granted my GTX 980 Ti stomps all over them in almost every scenario other than power draw, but older things are just as fun to play with.

Oh yeah… Well I have a few firsts and the.more in think about them I goes back further.

My first actual card was from a friend as well, I have since lost contact with them, but he gave me his old ATi x1800. It was a little at odds with the timing of my PC intro though. I was using a Dell Dimension something, which in still have, with its pentium 4 no ht (still waiting for that 10ghz netburst, Intel…). At the time it was just using what ever was on the motherboard, GMA something, so in goes the x1800 and suddenly stars in minecraft, glorious, yes I could not even see the sky before this and minecraft dates this to around 2011.

Then on to my own build and I put in a HD5450, which lives on in a spare parts box as a test card when things go wrong. This card was just a hold over for a few weeks till I could get the MSi HD7870 Hawk. What a good time that was, the card was a trooper until it suddenly died. It still sits under my PC table now, it looks great.

After that I got a second hand R9 290 4gb from someone here, that continues to this day and it isndoingna hellnof a job. Looks like itnwill have to keep doing it too as AMD have not released anything better really since. The 480 and 580 are marginal bumps but nothing amazing and Fury/Vega were out of this world expensive and power hungry for what they are. Now with GPU prices sniffing the funny powders and thinking themselves too important for then likes of games it does not look like it will improve any time soon.

I bought a GTX 465 in the hope that I could use Quadro drivers with it.
Then that program because RivaTuner and I couldn’t.

The card worked well but overheated LIKE CRAZY! Anytime it got to 80C = Instant entire PC crash. I resorted to drastic measures to keep it cool.

The final solution was pretty simple.
GTX465-twin-turbo-fan-hack

Usually I hand down my old cards to my brother or nephew.
I tossed the GTX 465. I didn’t want anyone to have to mess with it like I did.

I also have an 8800gts 320 and a gtx 460. The 8800 was loaned out last year to help a guy troubleshoot his pc. Reluctant to throw it out as it was my first ‘proper’ gpu. Sometime nostalgia is useful.

I still have an ATI all-in-wonder laying around. Worked good at its time, but 128mb of vram nowadays is useless.