"GTX 2080" Engineering Sample Suggests 'RTX' Branding was an Afterthought

It’s not a render, the card is real and came from the Austin, Texas campus. The only other picture was of the back, which had no differentiating features from what shipped on the retail FE.

1 Like

That is very possible.

Also very possible.

1 Like

@Zavar just want’s to see you holding that thing :wink:

Leave it up to the news cycle to be over three years behind me in reporting on odd GPUs. Yes I’m going to be smug about this. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Oh and as a bonus I’ve had some of these GTX branded cards since 2020. They’re barely slightly different from retail. Notably they’ve got a BIOS from about 50 days prior to launch and have slightly higher thermal and voltage tuning limits.

2060 and 2070 variants.

4 Likes

lol all because an idiot savant asked for raytracing 18 months before the cards launched.
rumour has it a rep from nvidia asked what features the users on toms, would like to see on the next gen cards.
one piped up and gave 3 or 5 suggestions. one of which was raytracing.
surprisingly the next gen card had raytracing.

whether it was already in the works on the roadmap, i have no idea. but its nice to think they took suggestions from the community and implemented them.

was raytracing rushed. yes. but just look at it
:smiley:

Ray tracing has been the holy grail in graphics since the 70s.

Nvidia would have no doubt been researching this (or waiting for hardware to manufacturing catch up) for the past 10-20 years.

We’ve known how to do much better graphics for decades. It’s just a case of hardware availability and optimisation.

Ray tracing wasn’t rushed. It’s just a hard problem.