Gtx 1080 Ti - temp limit issue

Hello. Greetings from Poland. And sorry for my bad language. I am sad because of my Gtx 1080 Ti Fe.

No overclocking,no tweaking ,all stock and default.

The temp limit is default at 84. I thought at the default setting the fan is targeted at 50% and the card would start throttling once it hits 84c so it wouldn't go past the temp limit of 84. But in my experience it goes past that limit from time to time and the fan would spin at 60-65%. Is this normal? Again this is at default setting with nothing overclocked. Going past the temp limit hitting 85-86c ( without throttling , gpuz shows VREL or PWR limit instead of THRM ) with loud fan noise is worrisome. I'm not sure if this is a driver problem or this is normal?

Temps sometimes go past 84C to 86-87C and i dont have THermal limit drop in clocks in gpuz. Gpuz stating Pwr limit or voltage limit. Any ideas?

I tried on 378,382 and newest drivers.

As i said, after reboot the card maxed out at 83°C under same conditions. WoW at 200% renderscale, 3DMark and Overwatch.
I checked my GPU-Z logs. The moment the card was at 87°C there was no temp limit warning, and the card was almost at full GPU boost speed, that's the thing that bothered me.
Same tests after reboot, the card was at 83°C and boost clock was lower and temp limit was reached.
That's why i am asking here what can cause that the card is ignroring the given thermal limit of 83°C.
Now my question is, what in the world was that ? Boost clock is controlled by driver, isn't it ? Maybe the driver went nuts.
i dont think it was an airflow issue. The card never reached 87°C even under maximum load at 4k resolution. It was the same Setup, i didn't change everything.
As i said, after reboot the card maxed out at 83°C under same conditions.

The cards "maximum GPU temperature" before it will thermal throttle is 91c. Keep in mind, that even at the temps your seeing, the card is still boosting its clock speed. Nvidia sets the cards so that they will shutdown due to thermals only once the core hits 105c, so your still in the safe range even if it is warm. The card will manage its clocks to stay close to the 84c mark, but it will of course fluctuate some. The cards' higher than 84c is probably due to one of a few things that could be culprit. If your ambient temperature is high, than the card will subsequently run at a higher temperature. If your case is very restrictive, then the card could be struggling to get air (although being a blower cooler this is a less likely option as they are fairly good at mitigating this issue).

1 Like

But why gpuz showing VREL limit sometimes on 85C and not Thrm limit?

Its not really hitting thermal limit until it hits the 91c mark