GTX 1080 Founders Edition - I'm so confused

Yeah could be, anandtech also has a review with benchmarks out.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10326/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-preview/2

Also yes confirmed the founders edition pcb.

Interesting, so its not as cool as Nvidia claimed. ☺

Now the 63°C at the launch event seem suspicious to say the least.

I think that they had used a watercooled version at the event.
If i remember right i have read rumors that Nvidia also comes with a watercooled version of the card later.

from what we see in current numbers i think either the whole thing was fake - i am unsure how they got stable clocks at 2.1GHz with that temp. I personally think if they did use waterloop they would've gotten around ~46'C, if they used well air conditioned room - they would be around ~75'C at core with their blower style cooling - and i don't think it would've been stable to run at it.

So they've might've ran it over some non-ref cooling or something.

I think the thing they showed on stage was vsync:ed (or some kind of sync), that would explain the low temps. Or maybe frame rate limited. Radeon Software Crimson has that, my Hawaii GPUs tend to run significantly cooler when used with a limit that is below what the card can do performance-wise.

Like others have pointed out, Nvidia is finding a way to market their reference edition cards and milk the most money out of them. Beyond the name, and the fact they should be available on day one, there is nothing special about them.

I would like to think that this fiasco is going to fall through, but, if only because the new reference cards will be available sooner, people are going to be throwing money at Nvidia, regardless of this silly move.

nvidia wants to stay in the market this time (as opposed to selling reference cards until board partners come out with their own editions).

the reason for the premium price is to avoid underselling their board partners — which makes sense once you realize that they're not competitors. nvidia competing with their board partners would be a really dumb move. this way, they can enter the market without burning any bridges.

this is my understanding, anyway. only reasoning that makes sense.