GTX 1070 Driver Stops responding, stutters in stress test

Sorry I mis-spoke. But He’s well within his power target with a PSU with known efficiency. Maybe hes even hitting 300W with spikes, but even still he should be fine?

@Dynamic_Gravity Will do, thanks.

@Adubs You are right, Lenovo did obviously cut some corners here and there. I am actually planning on building a separate PC but keep the GPU, I wish however to rule out that anything’s wrong with it before that.

Aside from Heaven and Valley stress tests, any other software I should try to test the card that you can recommend to make sure I am not keeping a faulty card?

Who’s the manufacture of the PSU?

No idea, but judging from the sound it makes compared to my bequiet!, it’s a shitty one. I will take a look once I open the PC and let you know.

1 Like

Do let us know.

Sometimes they just slap the sticker on there and it actually doesn’t do what it says it does. So we could just all be fooled. Unless you have instruments to test we can’t really validate, so knowing the manufacturer will help.

I was having the same problems with my 580 in windows 7 and 10 equally so I gave up trying.

Did a bit of digging, seems the card ships with a weak a** fan profile, and that combined with the poor airflow shuts down the card.

I remember ramping up the fans manually in MSI Afterburner made the card under load go around 70 degrees, without undervolting.

It’s amazing this is Lenovo’s idea of a gaming PC, 2 hours then you have to take a break, guess it helps with gaming addicts. Maybe that’s why the previous owner sent this back.
Hope this card check out, because it will be much happier in a decent case with a decent motherboard, airflow and PSU.

On Newegg they have a MSi blower style 1080 where all the reviews pretty much say it gets too hot. It may not be the reason for your problem, but I suspect MSi’s shitty blower cooler could be an issue.

Just adding to that PSU thing, from my experience it’ll just shutdown

The absence of an CE logo strikes me as curious.

Edit: FCC logo is also missing. I think we found the culprit

2 Likes

Ok, so it seems the default GPU Bios doesn’t want to increase the fans to more than 30%, even when the GPU is reaching 80+ degrees.

The fix seems to be to keep MSI Afterburner running and use the default fan profile, the result is quite noisy at 30-40% fan speed, but it doesn’t reach more than 65-70 degrees Celsius under load.

I think the crash was indeed a thermals issue, and the stuttering may have been due to throttling, although I still think I should blame it on the mobo+cpu+ram configuration. The included case fans barely do any work, and although they are 4 pin, I haven’t seen or heard them ramp up, so they’ don’t do a lot of airflow. There are no bios settings for the fan and haven’t been able to use speed fan to control them.

Thank you all for your help.

1 Like

I like setting these fan curves so that it goes 100% around throttles or 75C, and then set that last sane point around 70C, for example 0%=0C, 38%=70C 100%=75C

Then it’ll hold if it holds, and turbine when needed as it doesnt really matter if its really loud or super loud :smiley:

Made the swap, the GPU has a bit less idle temp, likes the new PSU and fan setup. This’ll have to hold until I get a new Ryzen+ system and upgrade my old Sandy Bridge i7 2600. No more issues so far, I may try reflashing the gpu bios with a MSI GTX 1070 Aero (that seems to be what this card used to be before the rebrand, judging by the cooler fins and layout) to see if I can stop always having to run MSI Afterburner to ramp up the fans accordingly.

1 Like

I would have went for something with bottom intake but it looks pretty good. Might want to get a top intake just to get cooler air over the VRM but otherwise I wouldnt change a thing. Good choice of rear fan.

1 Like