GTA V on Linux (Skylake Build + Hardware VM Passthrough)

I highly appreciate this video, I'm planning on building a similar rig next month (i5-6600k, asus z170a, etc) and not even installing Windows, but since my Linux experience is very limited these tutorials will help a lot!

So far I've had lots of dead-ends on Mint: hardware recognition (got a dead gpu inside my laptop :D), installing packages, running 'Windows only software' (really hope Wine improves a bit), etc... so a Win VM really helps to release steam (if you get what I mean). Hope I'll learn enough to dive into Arch in a month for a more enriching experience :).

Thanks again and good luck everyone!

@wendell you must have esp, this is pretty much what i had planned on doing tonight (ive just got home from nightshift, and got two nights rdo)
but ive got a clevo p375sm-a with a i7-4940mx 32gb and 980m sli,
hopefully passing thru a single 980m thru to the windows vm, and having the other for linux will not be too much of a stuff around.
will post results

I'd watch a 16 hour video tutorial

I'm on FM2, with a cheap motherboard, and a 5800K, not sure really if I could do this with my motherboard, would have to look into, procrastinate doing that, and continue running windows because it just werks.

1 Like

Greetings I have finished my change over to Linux Ubuntu 12.04. I am not running anything that even looks like “new stuff” currently using Intel i5 750 Nehalem architecture and Nvidia gtx 260 and I am going to set up the virtual box, and then go for Linux Box with PCIe Passthrough – OVMF + Qemu + KVM != GTA V for me until I do my next hardware upgrade.

I have been running Red Hat Enterprise Linux and data networking server systems, but I am a noob with Linux home use.

All I can do is learn, and if my system melts down or catches fire and burns = new system upgrade LOL.

Would it not be easier to install windows and then virtual box, install what have you distro of linux and have the virtual machine boot up the moment you log into windows? Idk how much virtual box constricts linux, if someone is willing to explain I am really interested.

Fair question. The reason Wendell has done it from the opposite way you have suggested, is to be able to take away dependencies from Windows.

With the latest privacy and security concerns within Windows, a lot of people are feeling the best response is to simply get away from Windows and keep it in a contained box where you can control everything (in a VM).

Unfortunately for Oracle [Virtual Box], it isn't the greatest solution for passing through hardware (strictly, assigning your GPU or USB ports to a VM of your choice) and so KVM in a Linux distro was the method of choice.

For the boot device I found that I had to specify hda and the bootorder flag or boot from C nonsense.. and that worked. There is an option to pass to the UEFI to display a bootmenu. I found that to be a good stopgap;. Also one of the fedora uefis is knackered somehow and booting is a problem with it. Try the UEFI "with vars" as that one worked much better for me.

1 Like

you should be able to, but in the past I have had problems with bios based cards with bad behavior hanging the whole system. Some cards assume that bios init happens right after power on which is way not the case here and so there can be weird problems with older video cards. You might see if your video card has a bios update to make it uefi compatible.

The fact that I had results all over the place with various cards is why the world never saw the version of this how-to with the amd 8350 -- the hardware support of the day was way way inconsistent. UEFI is just so much cleaner. Also, I feel dirty that systemd is my bootloader but it actually works really well. The More You Know /rainbows

1 Like

Stabilization of hardware, for both Windows and Linux in a single system makes sense now. Here I thought I could laze off some work :)

I'm going to do a little more research before trying this because my main system isn't that great:
FX 6300, Radeon 7770, 240 gb SSD, 2 tb hdd

Wendell's tutorial was based on some pretty slick hardware and was intel based.

Good god this is amazing! I always dreamed of this and now its here. Almost want to quit college so I can drop 5k on dual lga2011s and 980TIs. But that's a dumb idea. Why did I buy AMD FX? :(

Also when I looked into this everyone was like "No, you need VSpeher to have hardware in a virtual machine. Bla bla bla buy VSphere." WELL SUCK IT VMWARE, your not getting my money! VSphere would be nice though...

Don't quit college. You may learn how to write "here" by the time you graduate. :-p

sorry, couldn't resist

3 Likes

Woops! Sorry, on mobile. I would never quit college. I just wish I had some cash.

2 Likes

Is there a free bare metal hyper-visor that lets you boot into vm's and manage them without logging in remotely ( im only slightly familiar with esxi as far as hyper-visors go)? for example with esxi you install that to bare metal, then use the vsphere client to manage and log into VM's on the ESXI server.

Also how do hyper-visors like esxi handle/pass-through GPUs? Lets say i had 2 gpu's to put in a hyper-visor server with the intent of only running 2 VM's (Vm A and Vm B) , could you pass one gpu (perhaps a lower performance one) to only Vm A and pass the second (perhaps a better performing gpu) to only Vm B?

I did this about a month ago, for those bumping into any issues it might be worth taking a look at my comments.. especially this one
https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/to-game-or-not-to-game-that-is-the-question/85429/15?u=mattdgtl

This sounds absolutely incredible. I very well might give this a shot on my main gaming desktop (which doesn't get as much use as I'd like being a full time student and all...), and post the results here. Transitioning has never really been easier, has it?

Because I wanna do native-Linux gaming for at least those games that support it - and if only to improve the steam statistics and to show Linux is there :D

@wendell
Yo do not need Fedora Rawhide. F22 has Kernel 4.1
I would go with Fedora 22. Fedora 23 is still a month out.
Working on doing this on my Fedora 22 Desktop.
Will see how things go.
Nice Video and write up!

Recording my steps will write up a fedora 22 Guide for AMD if I am successful.

Well I'm running Kernel 4.2, will need to find myself a second videocard (got a 4870 I may be able to recover under the reflow machine, as the Linux card). Does the I7-5820K support this for playing games and such under KVM?

So far things I would want windows for is Witcher 3, Inquisition, Fallout series, GTA5. Not a whole lot more I use windows for really.

Using this method could I run 4 VMs with 4 gps 1 each? I want to have 4 1080p monitors on the wall and run them of 1 computer and all would independently. So I could connect 4 controllers and every one will work only with one VM.

Yes the 5820k supports VT-X and VT-D.