Gsync/Freesync hack

I hope there can be something in the works for this. I’m not a fan of gsync.

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of paying an extra $200 for gsync.

Nvidia will break this, if possible. These sorts of proprietary features are what happens when a company has no real competition in the market. Only real solution is for AMD to step up on GPUs like they did on CPUs.

2 Likes

Interesting. So the 1060 renders the frame, sends it to the APU and the APU then outputs it with FreeSync?

1 Like

Now that the information is out there, nvidia might just try and patch this out.

1 Like

You’d think by now there would be some kind of work around. I bet if there was a bounty, some talented people could figure it out.

It’s been rumored for a looooong time. Gsync on laptops essentially is freesync; laptop displays don’t have the dedicated gsync module. But nobody has managed to make it work on desktops.

1 Like

I only think this came about because AMD has made some decent CPUs again. Since the APU’s w/ FreeSync are a recent addition, the amount of people with AMD APU + NVidia combo isn’t really a high number which makes sense that it hasn’t been looked at until now.

As for the GPU, most people who buy GPU’s are unlikely to look at having two different brands in their PC which is probably why it didn’t catch on or was thought about at all.

1 Like

we beat everyone with a behind-the-scenes video on this on patreon, you don’t have to have an apu, but it’s not perfect.

it is cool. :smiley:

It also works fine with looking glass.

5 Likes

But you could have broke the story!

1 Like

I don´t think it is a bug. It has to be like that. If intels igpu supported FreeSync, it would work with that too.

2 Likes

I’ll take a not perfect freesync monitor over gsync any day

1 Like

I thought they were on board with all that jazz anyway, or at least said they were but not sure what came of it.

1 Like

So does anyone want to work on the hack to make windows think any arbitrary gpu is an apu? Because the mechanism for how this work is DXGI which is the same as what we use with looking glass.

Same as with display mirroring.

By the way, display mirroring used to be smart enough to let you freesync w/nvidia as primary, too, but they patched it out.

3 Likes

I wish I knew how bc I would do it

This reminds me of how there was a driver hack on launch that made the system think it was a laptop (which don’t have g sync modules) and made g-sync work on Freesync.

1 Like

https://www.yahoo.com/news/freesync-working-nvidia-graphics-cards-142158014.html

Appears to be a walkthrough. I’ll get an AMD card if that’s what it takes lol

I just bought an rx560 to test this out and then my CF791 decided to die on me. Half of the LED array won’t light up. It’s like nvidia knew prevented this from happening.

1 Like

Are you saying that this config shorted your rig?

1 Like

nvidia

3 Likes

Well now that it is public, most likely.