Grub rescue problems

I wanted to try Ubuntu, so I installed it on an empty Samsung Evo 250 GB ssd I had just bought. After playing around with it for a couple of months I wanted to return to windows 10. Since I had my new Samsung ssd I wanted to reinstall windows on that disk instead of using my older disk with windows already on it (regular mechanical harddrive).

Since then i have been using windows 10 without problems for about 3 months. Then the other day I bought a new 2 TB seagate barracuda for more storage. Now when I start my computer it enters grub "rescue mode".

This is what I get:

error: unknown filesystem
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

I've read on a bunch of forums and tried "set prefix" and all that stuff, but nothing seems to work...

When I type "ls" I get:

(hd0) (hd0,msdos1) (hd1) (hd2) (hd2,msdos1)

I don't understand if this is remains from Ubuntu or something with windows. I'm sort of a noob when it comes to this. What should I do to boot in to windows again?

pls help meh!

Set from bios to boot from the correct drive

I already have the right drive selected, I even unplugged the drives without any OS on so I wouldn't mix them up.

Have a look at https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-mbr/ .

I've tried booting from a USB stick with Win10 iso, so that I could use repair mode but that doesn't work either. When I boot from it, it says:

"An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating systen"

I've unplugged all drives that are only used for storage.

None of the fixes on this page works. All of them assume that I can get into windows or a bootable media... witch i can't...

I had once weird problem that it decided to be just data drive and I couldnt figure out how would one change it back NTFS, so I ended up installing the whole thing again

Cant help you but you could check if file system is what it should be

How? Right now i can't even get past the "Grub rescue" screen.

I should have read more carefully because you even say

and I really dont know, but you seem to have same problem :smiley:

Ooops, sorry. But what do you mean by "Installing the whole thing again". Because I tried booting from a windows media but that didn't work.

I did not repair it, I did just format & install fresh Windows

It'd be great though if someone here knows hacky trick to change that drive back to NTFS without format because thats the problem here

How do you format a drive without having access to a windows?

You do this but instead trying to repair it, you wipe the drive and install new Windows

Actually I recall now what did happen for it, it was that damn Asus motherboard BIOS updater software and failure OC did wipe the file system

Fixed that problem and GPU doing random blackscreens by updating same BIOS with USB stick

But I can't even get to the Windows "install/fix/reinstall" screen when I boot from a USB.

There is a program called DBAN, that wipes your drive clean. Maybe I should try that and then reinstall windows 10.

I would have to Google how to format drive, but it would be probably good idea to update that mobo bios so it wont happen again

I just did that.

1 Like

But IF motherboard can change file system that easily, you'd think you could change it back? :smiley:

I don't know, I don't think that the bios can change that. This is likely a problem with the MBR (master boot record)...I think.

I'm just Googling "windows file system changed" and at least now there are same cases because Win10, think I had Win7 back then