Group buying 200+ enterprise hard drives

Hello, My Tech friends.

I have not one but two Norco RPC 4224`s each holding 24 drives (In the hot swap bays) and I want to completely fill one and put about 8 drives in the other. They need to be enterprise drives, however, I don’t need SAS 12gb, SAS 6gb or SATA will work for my needs. Plus my HBA and backplane are 6gbs anyways. it won’t make a lot of sense and it would cost a lot of cents. lol

as usual, I went to our future ruler Amazon and had them send me a quote this is what they sent:

Which is terrible if you price the drives alone its only $6240

However, I was hoping to get a bulk order discount. Even if I have to order more drives.

I am not married to the 7E8/EXOS this is what im looking for in a drive:

Enterprise-grade rated for 24/7
3/5 Year warranty
8TB (seems to be the most cost effective)
SAS or SATA
Reliable
If you have any links or know of any discounts/deals I would greatly appreciate it!

Does it help if i say its for FreeNAS lol

1 Like

Maybe we can get a GroupBuy thing going?

I could use 4-8 8TB Drives, especially if enterprise grade 24/7 rated and I’m sure some other peps here wouldn’t mind to get in on a sweet drive deal.

So the real question is: How many people would want to buy some quality drives? How many Drives would we order?

and:

Who has connection somewhat directly to the manufacturer?

2 Likes

Yes i like that idea, There should be a couple people in need of some quality drives, and doing a group buy like massdrop could get us a nice price cut.

I do/did know a rep from WD, Ill reach out to them, but not to hopeful on that

Amazon is crap for prices of tech.

Is this for business use?

1 Like

Im building the full one for a client, so yes,

2nd one is for my business and personal

Where did you guys get your current drives? @oO.o @BookrV

@BookrV

FTFY. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol i knew something was off i was thinking vr gaming lol

1 Like

I got my current drives from a black friday sale 2 years ago and i bought some drives again while on sale of a local catering / gastronomy shop who also have non-food items

If you’re ordering that many disks, I would try to talk directly with a manufacturer and see if you can get a bulk discount. I’ve only ever bought in quantities of 10 or less or 500+, so I don’t know how the 24/48 quantity will be treated.

If it’s for business though, they’ll probably give you a good deal. I’ve had good experiences with the 8tb ironwolf pros in my companies data center for the last year or so. 2048 spindles, only 12 failures, 7 of them were sids.

please explain

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome

Happens to hard drives too.

1 Like

Okay, I didn’t think of SIDS in this context.

How / Why are HDDs SIDS sometimes?

I’d toss it up to QA failures, shipping damage or installation mistakes.

Hard to say why exactly. Some fail to spin up, some fail to read, some heads break, some have board failures. It’s all kinds of different problems.

7 SIDS in 2048 is 0.3%, so that’s damn good in my book.

1 Like

In what time period after being fully utilized?

Significantly below 1% SIDS is impressive.

Typically it’s up to 6 weeks, in my experience. After that failure rate drops off significantly for the period of the next ~9 months.

1 Like

Very interesting.

Sounds like overall failure. Well withing margin.

Intersting.

Thanks!

Volume discounts work by climbing the supply chain and taking on more and more costs of logistics.

I find it unlikely you’ll be able to get any worthwhile discount for just 50-100 drives. You could probably get 10-20% off if you ordered a palette and a 50% off of you’re ordering a significant part of production directly from manufacturer.

3 Likes