Green line artifacts issue

Working on a friends computer which is having some green horizontal line artifacts showing up as soon as the monitor received a signal. The arrangement of lines change when/where things change on the screen. See images below for visual artifacts. Along with these artifacts, the computer occasionally BSOD.

What i have done:

• Used different dvi cables/ports
  • Used different monitor
  • Updated BIOS
  • Updated GPU Drivers
  • reseated GPU in PCI slot.
  • GPU does not work in the first PCI slot (issue came up a couple months after getting this motherboard which replaced its original) and has been running on the second available slot.

I am about to take the GPU out and plug it in to my computer to see if its the GPU, i suspect its the motherboard.

MB: MSI Z77A-G41 PCi Express GEN3
CPU: Intel i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz Dual-Core BX80623I32120
GPU: EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM
PSU: 700W

What i see turning on the computer:

ok, pluged it in to my computer and ran it form my computer, artifacts are still there, its the gpu. i avoided doing that sooner because its a bit invovled to take out my gpu, otherwise that would have been one of the first steps.

CASE CLOSED

time to put it in the oven!

I got a toaster oven

that also works... just strip the card down put it in there FACE UP on a level surface that won't melt to it (like balled up aluminum foil as stilts works) 10 minutes at 345 degrees., let it cool off reinstall tada. there's more in depth tutorials but that's the jist of it.

1 Like

dont ignore the messages from the matrix

1 Like

I already decoded it, it says put me in the toaster.
seriously though the uniformity and low load artifacting makes me think re soldering with the toaster will fix it, core related artifacts aren't nearly as pretty.

Yup kind of figured this would be the answer once I saw GTX 4xx. The 400 series were known to cook themselves to the point of desoldering sometimes.

as tempting as it is, i might just take it off my friend and use it as a coaster, and help gim find an upgrade, its time for an upgrade anyways.

2 Likes

Bonus image. I had to use a dagger to unhook the PCI slot latch because it was the only long thin thing i had, otherwise id have to take the CPU heat sink off to get to that latch.

1 Like

Yes a D14 is a hefty thing, thankfully I have an x1 slot in between the cooler and the x16 slot so some room to move around a bit on mine.

I have to remove my sound card every time I want to remove my 290

1 Like

it is funny I usually don't give it any thought but I do need to take the GPU out tomorrow and fix a rattle. Glad I have that space now.

Have you tried using a different input plug?

Your late :P the gpu is toast. will be replacing.

Same, tis the woe of custom water cooling.

Litterally toast? as in you took my advice? or boring thrown in the trash toast?

Im not going to toaster it, they are going to replace it with an upgraded gpu. itll become my new coaster or something

Probably for the best seeing as it's a 460. Ew.

It did its job while it lasted, RIP