Graphics card recommendation for high resolution displays?

I have a GTX760. It ran fine before upgrading my monitor to a 21:9, 34" ultra wide. Now it seems a bit laggy/sluggish, and I think it’s because there are more pixels to drive?

But it ran 3x 1920x1080 monitors fine at one point, so I’m not sure. Maybe it’s max resolution per port or some other spec that comes into play.

In any case, I’d like a recommendation for a card that does a good job running a high resolution display, and something that would do fine driving a 4k monitor or similar if I got one in the future.

I’m primarily interested in graphics work, especially 3D work in Blender. Nvidia seems to work well with Linux, based on past experience. I use compiz as a compositing window manager, and that’s behaving a little sluggish with the big screen. When I dual boot into Windows, games seem a little bit laggier, unless you set them to only use the center of the screen. So I think it’s a large format screen issue with the GTX760.

Any suggestions?

If on budget, then get something cheap. Like gtx 1660 ti or rx 5500 xt, are probably bbftb. Ar wait for upcoming budget 30xx and 6xxx.

Everything more expensive will work bit better :slight_smile: Up to maybe 50% for 4x price.

1 Like

I have a GTX1070 FE running the 2 displays on my Blender PC (1440p and 1200p) with Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon, and it works real nice. Both are connected with DP. I have an RTX2080Ti also, which is just set to be for CUDA/Optx in Blender, and that works nice too, so that renders don’t affect the displays.

Do you have a budget in mind?

RTX 3090

1 Like

< $500?

I’ve found that the cards I already have do fine with multiple displays (3@1920x1080), but struggle with the single large screen. The new monitor I got is 3440px x 1440px.

(details: https://www.newegg.com/lg-34ub88-p-34-uw-qhd/p/N82E16824025430?Item=N82E16824025430)

I feel like the ability to redraw quickly (high FPS for gaming) isn’t based on the same factor as the ability to drive a large screen for desktop usage.

1 Like

Part of it is. Meaning games need way more computing power to finally drive monitor pixels with proper colors.

But what you describing sounds more like framebuffer issue, not card power. That compounds with fact that card you have is ancient in terms of computing. When 7xx series came out 1080p was the norm, so even if updated nvidia driver supports your resolution doesnt mean that hardware isn’t struggling with displaying 3x more pixels on your screen even 2D.

I gave you my new card recommendation up to $500 already. Yeah its only around $250, but guess what, AMD/NVIDIA competition seems like warming up, so next year you will probably buy 2x faster card for another $250.
And today $500 card will give you maybe 20% over $250 card.

I guess what I’m trying to figure out is if buying “any” newer gaming card will solve the issue, or if I should be looking for a certain specification, like a “4K card” or something specifically made for large displays.

I had to get a replacement for my gtx 770 this week and it’s an AWFUL time to be a buyer. I didn’t want to spend much and had a gtx1660 in my cart, but by the time I hit check out it was gone. ended up having to get a 1650ko to hold me over until the new stuff is actually available.

I know it’s not directly related to your question, but if you can, hold out as long as possible, even if it’s not for top tier because crap tier is even overpriced right now.

Pretty much that’s exactly what it comes to. Now 4k is so common that even weaker models can handle it properly in 2D (60Hz at least).
But like Adubs said prices are relatively high atm, that’s why I recommended those budget cards (5600xt/1660ti/5500xt). Also they are max 120-150W, below your current 760, so you don’t have to worry about PSU.

Edit: Deleted about quadro, checked price of older model.

1 Like

Maybe try places like EVGA’s B-Stock? They might have something pretty decent still in stock and for decent prices.

Any chance you could try wayland?

It should feel a lot more responsive at high res especially on older GPUs.

Otherwise xorg will keep trying its darndest to cram everything into a single texture that it needs to update whole all the time, and copy the giant thing around system ram and video buffers a few times before it can output it.

GPUs are really much better at compositing if you can use them.

1 Like

What are the new card models I should be waiting for? Are they announced with a date, just not out yet?

Is a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GT for $145 good?

Specs on Newegg say your big new monitor is only 60Hz. That’s going to obviously look worse for things like gaming than your previous monitor, assuming 75 or 85 Hz refresh. If that’s the issue, a new video card won’t be able to fix it.

Probably not your issue, but some time ago, my system suddenly started severely lagging on video. After a while I tracked it to the video connector being partially pulled out, losing its connection. I’ve had problems with bad cables and adapters before, as well.

Budget new cards (AMD 6xxx/Nvidia 30xx), are not even announced yet. But are expected early next year? But reasonable prices for them maybe second quarter.

For this price not really. It has 4 years, launch price was 139 USD soo…
And its only around 20% faster than your 760… And twice slower than those I already gave you.

Maybe you can find rx570/rx580/gtx1060, that’s the lowest I would go.

Yeah, prices are crazy high right now.

For performance, how does a GeForce GTX 1080 Ti compare to the RTX 3060 Ti? Or a Nvidia RTX 3080? The 3000 series are cheaper, but not available anywhere.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.