Graphical Issues

I just got back going with linux again, and im running into a wierd issue. When I am playing a game (ie. WoW) it will run great. The moment I open a youtube video or twitch stream (with the game still running), the system starts to chug like mad. I am on a 4790, 32gb DDR3 1600 CL15 and a 1080Ti. There should be no reason that this machine has a hard time displaying a video stream along with the rendering on a game. (I did not run into this issue on Windows.) I would love to see if anyone has ran into this before, and if there are any tricks to resolve it.

Haven’t run into it myself, just after more info that might help the guru’s- was the game running in windowed mode(not full screen) and the other app/browser, was that being opened in the same monitor?
If not, might you try running wow in windowed mode, and see if it makes any difference?
If it was already, we’re the two apps overlapping at all?

Also, which distro, and I presume the proprietary drivers?

Yeah, happens to me with some games on two monitors (like YT on one, game on second). Seems like this is compositor issue.

I found out that messing with full composition pipeline in Nvidia control panel (X Server Diplay Config -> Advanced) usualy fixes the issue.
Also like Trooper_ish said, often going to “window fullscreen mode” helps the issue.
If game doesn’t support it then you can just go to window mode and use wmctrl to make it “fullscreen window”.

1 Like

No, when I am playing WoW, it is on the main monitor in Windowed full screen mode, and the youtube/twitch stream will be on a separate monitor.

I am running Ubuntu Budgie 20.10, on nvidia proprietary 450 x-server drivers.

I would love to run it like this, but I have been running into the issue that any changes that I make to the nvidia .conf file do not save, and are reverted to defaults on any restart.

Right, I change composite pipeline in drivers each time I run into this issue.
I just don’t play games that often anymore.
Also i’m on Manjaro, so making it permanent on my system isn’t exactly the same as on yours.

1 Like

Im testing running the nvidia server settings in root in order to force the config to save. It doesnt seem to want to save when I tell it t, and I am guessing the file is locking to root. I tried to force it open to my account, but it didnt seem to want to unlock.

Are you running wayland or xorg?

I think it is running the xorg version of the drivers. I dont know for certain how to tell the difference with the drivers.

Cant tell if that is xorg server or just nvidia display server.

If you go to the settings application in gnome and go to the about section, it will tell you info about your system.

You can check what module is loaded for each device with

lspci -k

I dont use Ubuntu, but seems like you are running older version. I would switch to first option 455 (prop, tested).

When I switch to that version, I can no longer get to the settings app for nvidia, and it causes me to lose the proper configuration of my monitors.

This is really annoying, as I cant watch youtube while i play games like WoW, which takes a ton of the fun out of it lol