GPU's closing to MSRP & GPU mining demand might decrease. Buy new, hodl, or used?

In the article here , there are some rumours ASIC is working on an Ethereum optimised machine, with an efficiency increased so much that would render GPU’s even more inefficient mining than they are. (if you prefer youtube, there’s a story on these links here .)

In this other article here it is also speculated that AMD & Nvidia, once custom, more efficient ASIC chips appear, may see a notable decrease in the request for GPUs from miners.
Other news is that AI ASIC’s are on the way which is also a interesting thing, but at the same time something that can decrease the chance of GPUs being bought by companies doing AI computations.

So, now that GPU’s are slowly getting to MSRP (eyeing an 1080 for sometime that goes for equivalent of 600 something USD), the question is, with RTX going on that isn’t fully supported on this older architecture, would you buy a 2 years old card, now, at MSRP?

• I would buy a Second Hand GPU used for mining
  • I would buy new, a GPU released 2yrs ago, once it gets closer to MSRP
  • I’m holding out for the next generation (RTX, better power efficiency, better bang for buck)
  • I DON’T think future ASIC’s will lower the GPU desirability for mining
  • I DO think future ASIC’s will lower the GPU desirability for mining
  • I’ve got a GTX 750 (or weak a** gpu) and I’m afraid to upgrade right now

0 voters

1 Like

There are new algo’s that are extremely asic resistant and will be forked if a asic is ever developed for them.

2 Likes

I’ve read that Monero is also doing that, but if your purpose would have been to make money mining, wouldn’t you want something that does it faster?

It’d be interesting to see how much better the AI ASICs are like.

So… That means that eventually I won’t have to sell my self to a doctor in China to afford a decent GPU?

4 Likes

Ha! Hopefully!

We can only hope that the same will be the case for RAM soon.

I doubt that. Most Cryptocurrency developers are against ASIC mining and try to disable/disallow ASIC mining in general whenever possible. As @nemuro has mentioned, the Monero team tries to disable ASIC mining.

Also, mining will not be possible for Ethereum in a few months, because of the switch from PoW to PoS.

I dont believe the potential for Dagger-hashimoto ASICs are the driving factor here. I think it has more to do with the fact that a mining rig that would have been making somewhere in the realm of 13-20 dollars a day this time last year is now only making roughly 4 dollars, because of increases in difficulty and decreases in price.
@dot404
dagger-hashimoto (eth) and cryptonight (xmr, aeon, and so on) were both developed to ASIC resistant. As was Scrypt (ltc). When the coins were only worth a few tens of millions, that was one thing. But once a market develops into a multi-billion dollar one, the incentives for development change, and even if the algorithm is difficult to produce specialized machines for there is a much larger incentive to do so.
@Azulath
This is mostly right. Most developers are against it because it encourages centralization due to the higher cost of entry, which works against the intent of most crypto. However, many miners are also against it. An ASIC can only mine one coin, if that goes under then there is suddenly no market to resell equipment and it’s a complete loss. However, with GPU, one can switch to another coin. Beyond that, the cards can also be sold to gamers, which explains why all the mining specific cards have failed, no resale value.
ETH will switch to POS at some point, yes. But no one knows when. Believing in a few months is a pipe dream, especially given the rate of development so far. That could have been a solution last year, but given that there are many alternatives now, and that a good number of cards sold dont even mine eth (1070, 1080, 1080ti, v56, v64 all dont), it isnt the absolute moment GPUs will get cheap again. The cards that are used to mine eth (mostly 580/480, 570/470, and 1060s) are also fairly efficient using other algorithms as well (cryptonight for AMD and equihash for nvidia)

The fact of the matter is as well that a good number of people also believe firmly that the market will recover, and that it will make them millionaires. Because of this even if they’re barely breaking even they’ll continue to mine. Something else to consider is that even though mining is getting close to a zero sum game here in the states and Europe and other places, in places such as China, Mongolia, etc. power costs are far lower, meaning that mining is still far more profitable than here. Combine this with the cult like mentality of the HODL’ers and there is still plenty to prevent the selling price of new GPU to go down. However, there should be plenty of smaller operations shutting down and offloading cards, which could invigorate the used market. I’ve seen a number of deals around Chicago that 1 month ago never would have been posted. Still above what I want to pay, and above MSRP for used, but much much much closer to reason that I’ve seen in months.

Beyond the crypto aspect, the global memory shortage has taken its toll as well. Even if the demand from crypto slows, the memory shortage will still increase prices. IIRC this is supposed to last until at least the thrid quarter, and probably after that. So expect a 20-50 dollar increase over MSRP until that is resolved as well.

My two cents as someone who has mined for 5 years and lives with a trader for a roommate.

Are gamers actually wanting to buy used mining cards though?

I’ll buy them, all day long. Plenty of PCs for me that need an upgrade. Whats not to love about a card that’s been run undervolted and with max fans its whole life? Hell most miners these days take better care of their cards than gamers.

I think a proper poll would be required. I’ve constantly seen gamers say that they’d never buy a used card if it was used for mining, and that they actively avoid those things.

Let them refuse. Just means they’ll sit around waiting even longer, and during the while I’ll buy up as many 480s as I can! :sunglasses:

1 Like

We can only dream. I am sitting here in desperate hopes that my 290X holds out until AMD release a worthwhile upgrade.

3 Likes

added poll

I can get behind that sentiment at the right price. Obviously, new is preferable, but if the card is showing to be stable, I’ll definitely buy it. The only concern is the fan wear, which isn’t a huge issue in itself. If the fan dies, just replace it.

In regards to if asic will bring down prices, I doubt it. I think it might change demand a bit, but why lower the price? Nvidia currently has a functional monopoly on high refresh rate or 4k. They can command any price they want.

1 Like

I think we should do a recast of the vote.

I recently watched this video:

@The_Drugs I think you called it.

1 Like

Missed this one before.

I don’t care what it was used for previously if it’s in good shape and has the original BIOS. It’s not a car, it doesn’t have mileage like a vehicle does, and if it was run inside an acceptable thermal envelope I don’t see a problem. It’s likely better for the PCB condition in fact to live at a constant temperature as it won’t undergo expansion and contraction with heat cycling.