GPU upgrade?

So my pc has been resetting randomly while I'm playing games, but it is only when I play games. Some games it won't reset. (i.e. Civilization 5, Minecraft, lower demanding games) But if I play Battlefield 3 or Rust, it will restart after about an hour or so. I recently reset my pc to factory settings, reinstalled Windows 8, and cleared the hard drive, and it still restarts.... I was wondering if I need to upgrade my GPU. I have a Radeon HD 6870, with a FX-6300 6-core processor. I have 8 GB Ram, but its just generic memory. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

A Silly Llama

Did you overclocked you gpu? If so it probably overheats that's why it crashes.But if you are planning to upgrade R9 270X is the BEST price/performance card on the market.

Cheers!

I bought the PC pre-built, and they sent me the wrong thing, but some parts were better than others, but anyways, I haven't done any overclocking myself, but I think it may have been overclocked when I got it, because when I do paly, before it restarts, I get decent FPS considering its a 6870.

Yeah check temps for sure, the last thing you want to do is go out and buy a GPU only to find the problem still there. It may be that there is something wrong with your CPU cooler, maybe not a very good connection/seal and thats causing it to overheat. Also try testing the RAM maybe try it with only 1 stick of ram in. If it is the RAM its pretty cheap these days, so you should probs hope it is the RAM :D

EDIT: If it was overclocked when you got it (and that is whats causing reset) then either you can get a better CPU cooler or turn off the overclocking which is quite easy if you watch a youtube tutorial.

Is there a program you would suggest for checking the GPU and CPU temps?

Thanks