GPU Passthrough with only 1 GPU

I have been searching around for a bit now and have yet to find much for tips. From what I have found, it seems do-able, though I have no clue where to go with the arch tutorial for OVMF

Will it be possible to run a KVM with vt-d passthrough for my GTX 1080 and still be able to use the gpu on the linux host once I shut down the VM? I do not need to have visual gui while my VM is up, as I can control it all from SSH.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

I am wondering this, too. I wrestled with single gpu passthrough for a week and the closest i came was getting Proxmox to pass it to Ubuntu, but ubuntu didn't know what to do with it (980ti). Booting Ubuntu on bare metal works fine, but in a fm it complained about drivers or something.

I never got Windows 10 to work with passthrough. Nvidia shenanigans, methinks.

As far as using it on both, I don't think it's gonna happen. I had to blacklist the card from the host at boot before getting anywhere near passing it through at all. My issues may have come from the fact that my mobo has PLX chips. Dunno.

This link might point you in the right direction with the Nvidia shenanigans, Link
Nvidia drivers actually detect if it is loading through a hypervisor.

Don't you do gpu passthrough using the iGPU for linux then GPU for windows? Unless of course you're running a cpu without integrated graphics in which case it's over my head as is the situation in which you want some games to run in linux and others in windows.

Im running a 6800k, so no igpu. Only want to game on windows, but I suppose its all the same as I only have 1 gpu. I just want to be able to shutdown the vm and operate back under linux for everything non-gaming

supposedly that's a feature currently limited to iris pro gpus you'd be better off grabbing a cheap $10 gpu off of ebay.

Yea that's probably going to be where I end up, seems much easier.

Passthrough with a single GPU is by itself not hard to do. In addition to blocking any drivers from using the GPU, you need to disable the framebuffer in grub:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB/Tips_and_tricks#Disable_framebuffer

You won't get any video output from the host this way though. I'm not sure if it is possible to re-attach the GPU from guest to host.

IIRC there's a way to keep video on the host using bumblebee as well, if you have an intel iGPU

(yes, even on desktop)

I think there was a similar post a while ago that stated single GPU passthrough will possible with 4.10 on AMD cards.

yep, this is true. he's got a 1080 though, so it isn't much help haha