GPU Passthrough with KVM: Have Your Cake and Eat it Too

windows 10 need to be installed with a core duo for some reason you should be able to do that through virt manager

I'm using the core2duo CPU setting for my windows 10 VM. The same thing happens in windows 8.1 with both the host cpu configuration and core2duo.

Ah its your display driver

Question before I install, would I need to use pci stub if I use 2 nvdia graphics cards, or will it just work? I've heard about blacklisting the driver but not for 2 of the same cards.

I would give it a try in virt manager first

speaking from my personal experience, NVIDIA cards would not pass through for me. you could get them passed through but the driver would not allow them to operate inside the VM. there are some workarounds out there, one of which i believe was simply using an older driver BUT if you are using a newer card then this wont work as the driver wont have support for it.

ok thanks, will try with old radeon card.

I was able to get a Radeon working

Yeah I haven't tried it with NVIDIA. I do have a gtx 760 laying around.....

Haved you solved this issue yet? Your setup is very similar to mine and I've run into this error before.

Problem for me was that the host was using the graphics card as a framebuffer device and the guest was not able to access it. I disabled the following in the host kernel to work around it:

CONFIG_X86_SYSFB
CONFIG_FB_EFI
CONFIG_FB_SIMPLE

(the host is booting my graphics card in EFI mode)

Once I was seeing no host output from the graphics card past GRUB, the card could be passed to a guest without issues.

Also for those having issues with Nvidia drivers in a Windows guest, have you checked these settings?
http://vfio.blogspot.com/2014/08/vfiovga-faq.html (Question 10)

Well it booted ok without the card enabled in the hardware but when I did the system froze, using opensuse kde 13.2 just like you. Num lock wont work, can't switch tty or anything.

EDIT: Also same card 4550 with amd fx 8320 and m5a99fx pro r2.0 motherboard and host card is 650 ti boost

First boot after install?

No I booted after install to make sure it worked, then powered off, added the cards(card and audio part not 2 video cards), tried to boot but it froze right after clicking

Try it with just one card

Oh so sorry, what I ment was that I added the card and its audio part. sorry.

So the os or VM froze because it normally starts out puting video through the passthrough card shortly after the VM boots so you need to switch inputs or monitors

The os froze, couldn't move the mouse curser to click to change to fullscreen and couldn't switch to any other tty.

Eo you have your motherboard set up for virtualization?

Will try loading defaults and changing some iommu stuff if possible, but I remember running a command that showed iommu was enabled but will check the bios.

what motherboard are you trying to use?