GPU passthrough, what GPU to buy?

Hi everyone,
I am building a rig for GPU passthrough on Linux and I have a r9 Fury x. However my CPU doesn't have an integrated graphics, so I need a second gpu for the main system. I heard people mentioned that it should be different then the other GPU, so should I get an Nvidia GPU? Or can I still get an AMD one like a RX470?

1 Like

I believe when they say you need different gpu's it just has to be a different generation so you should be fine if you go with an r9 fury and an rx 470. Also Wendell talks about some of the issue with gpu's in this video.

1 Like

Linux drivers for AMD cards SUCK, so if you want to do any gaming in Linux go with Nvidia, and then use the AMD card for any windows based games, that's my advice at least, obviously the AMD card works in Linux, it just isn't worth it to buy a new AMD due to it being really poor for any real gaming inside of Linux

1 Like

Honestly it doesn't matter if it's getting passed through, the AMD card can run inside a Windows KVM guest way better than having to hack around with CPU passthrough on the nVidia side to prevent issues with using a hypervisor on a desktop GPU.

1 Like

for gpu passthrough AMD is better. Both work, but you don't have to deal with nv driver as stated above. NV wants you to buy a quadro gpu to do gpu-passthrough.

1 Like

So the consensus is to use an AMD GPU if you are running Linux and passing it through to a Windows guest for gaming?

Yes, 100% for gaming.
I am considering using a UNRaid, any one have experience with it?

Just want to mention that I've got an Fury (non-x) and it's having issues with bus reset. You can try passing through the fury, but my recommendation would be to get a 480 or wait for vega, see what they offer and snag something there.

For those not in the know, bus reset issues plague lots of AMD cards from the R9 2xx and 3xx series cards (along with the furys) and cause AMD to not properly reset the device when the PCIe fabric requests it. This causes the GPU to not properly reinitialize on a VM restart. Essentially what this means is the host machine needs to be shut down completely before starting the VM again.

I was under the impression that AMD's Open Source drivers were amazing compared to NVIDIA's.

2 Likes