GPU passthrough: VT-d not supported on 7th generation i7 & i5 desktop chips

According to ARK Intel only the 7700HQ and 7600U support VT-d, used for GPU passthrough. Is this an omission by Intel or is this really so? Can @wendell or someone with a Kaby Lake processor confirm this is true?

I haven't found any proof of this, only this thread on Reddit of people asking the same thing.

2 Likes

If this is true, it's a massive cock-up on the side of Intel, because every Skylake part supports VT-d. Hell, even the new Apollo Lake SoCs support it.

I already really feel like Intel shot themselves in the foot with Kaby Lake (yet again... surprise surprise) and if this gets stacked on top of it... I'm going to laugh derisively.

1 Like

I done a filtered search for Kaby Lake CPUs with VT-d support and this is the list Intel came up with, it does seem like most of the 7th generation lineup do support VT-d, including the i7-7700k and i5-7600k.

1 Like

Well yeah pretty much any Z270 board has VT-d and VT-x options to enable in the bios.
So it would be kinda weird if desktop chips would not support it.

2 Likes

The 7600U seems useless to have Virtual Machines on too sadly. Damn, that's called shooting yourself in the foot. Another way for Intel to set Zen up for success.

Yeah, on Ark it looks like most everything does support VT-d.

Looks like a false alarm from some Redditor.

As usual.

Intel modified the site. It did not display VT-d support before except for the processors I mentioned. I'm glad it was a false alarm. :)