GPU Passthrough to Windows VM Issue -> No video plus Stalling on load

Not really sure what’s going on. I thought I had GPU Passthrough set up properly. I have my amd vega56 gpu in my 2nd pci-e slot. It’s a Ryzen system (2700), and I’m excited to get this bad boy set up with a 2nd OS for study and games :slight_smile:

I followed a number of guides, made sure to check that vfio was enabled in the gpu, setup the os without the card instaled, shut down my kvm windows 10 os, and… nothing.

The OS starts to boot into bios but then just stops. And I’m a bit confused at why. Any help is appreciated.

edit 1:" virsh edit win10gpupthr2wkstn" pastebin

edit 2: Was following this guide

what version of qemu?

did it boot successfully the first time and then refuse to boot?

is virsh/virtman ouputting any errors in logs or upon starting?

also, did you make sure to turn off CSM and add efifb=off in the relevant places

both may be required on AMD systems and the guide you link mentions niether of them

I realized something. Looking at the driver I realized I’m loading in:

Kernel driver in use: pci-stub

did it boot successfully the first time and then refuse to boot?

Not with the GPU, no

virsh/virtman ouputting any errors in logs or upon starting

Still a noob so you’ll have to give me a bit on this one

did you make sure to turn off CSM and add efifb=off in the relevant places

?

both may be required on AMD systems and the guide you link mentions niether of them

More homework then.

all of these are potential problems. I recommend the archwiki article for setup and troubleshooting since it’s actively updated. Random blog guides tend to take a “works for me” approach instead of linking to documentation or doing actual research.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

1 Like

So I’ve followed both the guide you provided + this guide. I now have vfio-drivers enabled for the Vega56 gpu. However I’m still running into an issue with the system starting and getting hung up at 12% with only the GPU enabled. (GPU + GPU sound does the same thing).

I’m not really sure what to do now, any advice?

what do you mean by “hung up at 12%”