GPU passthough with Windows 7 guest - hangs on boot

Iotdev,

Can you share your qemu command line for this?
Are yall able to get this to still work on Qemu 6.2?
Every combination I have tried changing pci buses in libvirt either got code 12 on AMD or no boot.
Couldn’t get any farther on command line qemu with 440fx as it seems they removed some of the ability to create a root pcie bus with ioh3420, but do have a new Q35 VM that is patched to boot with CSM off. So maybe I will have more luck with QEMU command line.

So currently either I have to use qemu from early 2020 or use an old AMD 2020 driver (only with 440FX VM) as everything newer gives me code 12.

I’ve been trying the same thing as posted here, trying to get GPU passthrough to work with a Windows 7 guest. I’m using a GTX 970, Asus Q87M-E motherboard, and Ubuntu Server 20.04 (so no virt-manager). I encountered the code 12 error as before, and then tried the solution posted by @ChuckH . However, I now encounter an error: error: internal error: qemu unexpectedly closed the monitor: 2022-07-23T17:58:15.608209Z qemu-system-x86_64: -device vfio-pci,host=01:00.0,id=hostpci0.0,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x10.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on: vfio 0000:01:00.0: failed to open /dev/vfio/1: No such file or directory

Looking around, it seems to be because it can’t access the GPU from the host, and the posted solution is usually to isolate the GPU from the host. However, I have already done so, and under lspci -nnv I see vfio-pci as the driver that’s in use. Has anyone also encountered this error under these conditions?