GPU mining?

First off, I know just as much (or as little) as you. I am going with a 4U server chassis and 5 or 6 (motherboard/chipset may only support 5) 1060 dual fan GPU's. I will likely mine zcash as well.

The latter part was for the whole thread I am very interested in learning and actually mining with my own hardware

1050/1050 Ti are actually really strong little miners. They clock high (1900MHz+) and at those clocks can pull about 140 - 170 sol/s on ZCash. A pair of them would be close to a GTX 980.

Ok can I dual mine etheruem and zcash or just one?

Just pick one. Trying to dual-mine those two will result in nothing getting done since they both overlap in hardware utilization. ZCash is more profitable for nVidia right now when you use a CUDA miner like EWBF.

1 Like

Wish I had a HBM card for Ethereum mining right now, just using a 980 ti & a 270x. I won't be paying for my electricity again soon so that always helps.

On a side note I'm excited for Vega ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I have had little success finding a 570/580 for ETH.

Should I hold out, or get a handful of 1080's and just eat the initial cost?

1070s are the better deal. 1080s are only marginally better since GDDR5X negatively impacts mining performance.

1 Like

How does a Fury stack up?

Don't go Nvidia unless you have to. If you do 1060s are the best sols/ $ atm.

That's my concern- that by the time I get a hand on some decent AMD cards, enough time will have passed that I could have been using nvidia cards for months. The Dallas Microcenter had a 580 in stock this morning, but it went away within the hour. I have a script checking MC stock on all 570s and 580s every 15 minutes and STILL I can't get one.

Anyone have a line on where to get them? It really seems like a silly barrier to entry; i.e., finding the parts. I mean, it's not like we're looking for rare antique stuff or some old car radiator from a certain year... they're brand new cards, for goodness sake.

Fury and Fury X sit right around the GTX 1070 in performance. Fury just behind, Fury X just ahead. A 1070 at 2050MHz will usually run as fast as a stock Fury X.

That really depends on where you are. Local listings for example can make the GTX 980 a much better buy over the 1060. (350 sol/s vs 300 sol/s)

1 Like

Depends on the price difference. Yes, a 480 is faster than a 1070, but the 1070 would first have to earn the difference in price back before it could get a head start on the 480

1 Like

You're not just factoring in hashing speeds you have to factor in power usage. Older cards like 980s and 290-390s have way higher power draw when under load compared to better optimized 10 series or 4-580s

1 Like

May be a stupid question but would i be able to run the mining in a linux container?

Yes nicehash works on linux so does ccminer which mines directly into whatever pool you choose.

Funny you should mention that. I just shut down my main rig to attach a power meter. Idling on the desktop, the PC draws 76-78W. When the 1070 is folding, I'm at 191-194W. That's around 115W for the card.

Running 24/7, the card would use 2.76 KWh per day, which at my 0.18EUR per KWh equals 49.68 cents per day in electricity. The 1070 is doing 25.5-26MH on Dagger Hashimoto, which translates to 4.3€ per day right now. That's 3.8€ pure profit every day, meaning that the 519€ card (just checked my local store) would pay itself back in less than 5 months.
It would then continue and make an extra 2200€ pure profit before the warranty (2 years here in the EU) expires.

Just did the maths, and with three 1070s I'd be drawing 425W from the wall, half of what my PSU can deliver.
The actual number will probably be closer to 550W, seeing as the card also consumers power on idle. Ideally I'd run the PC without card to make sure, but then I wouldn't get past the login screen. Still worth considering though ...

1 Like

Will I need passthrough support haven't done a whole lot of research just not sure if my container can use my gpus

At this point power usage is a non-issue for these cards. GTX 980s average 185W from the wall for 350 sol/s and even if you pay a MONSTROUS $0.40 per KW/hr that is still only $1.93 per day, or $53.28 per month to power a card that is profiting $93.15 over that cost. The GTX 1060 only makes a couples cents more per month but has a longer ROI for being more expensive in most areas (GTX 1060s generally going for $220/each vs the GTX 980s $175/each)

These arguments happen with Bitcoin, LiteCoin, NameCoin, Monero, ETH and ZCash. If you really crunch the numbers it is always the cheaper upfront cost that has a larger impact on ROI than power usage. Every single time, without fail.

7 month necro. Thread is locked.