GPU Max Resolution

How does this work? Is it just a rough estimate of how much pixel data it can push out?

If I get a RX 580 GTS Black Edition which claims a max resolution of 4096×2160, would it be unable to run a wider/shorter display mode which has fewer overall pixels?

I need to support 5120×1440, which is just over 7 mill pixels. The “max resolution” specified (4096×2160) is almost 9 million.

i think (it used to be) a function of the horizontal and vertical sync capability, but these days with digital signaling i’m not sure any more.

i.e., i’m not sure you’ll be able to get 5120 wide due to the horizontal sync rate.

But i could well be wrong.

Might wait for Radeon VII or I guess these RX 5700 to mature a bit maybe.

It should work. It is not a standard resolution though. Are we talking gaming or productivity here.

That resolution is per display, so if that resolution is running from multiple outputs on the gpu then it will work, but if it from a single connector then idk.

Some light gaming (generally windowed), but productivity mostly. I think I’d need high-end NVidia for any kind of serious gaming fullscreen.

Gaming at that resolution, definitely.

You should be fine otherwise.