GPU for 900p/1080p on medium or high settings on a budget

Oh, but what happened to the 780 Ti? It is losing to an R9 390/GTX 970 (even though it's only 1%, whch is basically 'Ti'ed), but I thought it would perform a lot better (between 970 and 980)?

As for AMD Polaris cards, would be great if there was any in stock anywhere aside from the RX 460, which is a weak card even for it's price. I am going to check if any is in stock.

Edit: Well what do you know, they have cards In Stock now. But I cancelled my order and spent so much on books and stuff that I don't have enough money anymore and I won't until the end of the month, not that it matters, I am still waiting on Zen.

Uhm, in that list they claim the 1060 is on par with a fury....

The one that used to beat 290X with like 10%? Well, it proves a lot of people right...

This sucks, I hope the 900's series cards don't get gimped with new drivers, I was just thinking about searching for a used GTX 970 (maybe a used R9 380 if the price is right, like $140ish) for the next build, but then again, I might be better off getting an RX 470.

If you are going for 470 you may as well jump to 4GB 480...
Or 3GB 1060 gimp edition...

1 Like

usually poeple who are selling used GPUs are trying to get rid of old stock.

use new GPUs to push their price down.

380 is pretty cheap now :P

Is it like $150 cheap?

I've seen some 670 or even 680 for a good price on ebay, maybe if i'm lucky i would grab one of those. Also i would keep in mind for a R9 380 or GTX 960. I saw some R9 290s but some of them are out of my budget unfortunately. I hope next week to make my choice for the gpu.

we're talking 900p/1080p on medium / high, 4gb is not cutting it close. Its Excellent. personally would try my best to save for one of the cheaper 470's because of the leap it is from the 460. but if he can't wait then id say sure, a 460 or used 380 can hold you over for sure on these settings.

Well... If you actually did your research you'd realize AMD cards get MUCH better with age (especially in relation to the Nvidia equivalent... 270x anyone?), for any rig it's good to get stuff that will last awhile. Potato Drivers? If i remember correctly, earlier this year Nvidia drivers were bricking shit so that's not even an argument at present. Obviously you prefer Nvidia, which is fine, but when someone asks for advice it's wise to stay as objective as possible.

1 Like

Uh, me, me... 290X as well... 780Ti on the other team...
As for potato drivers - it was not the AMD drivers, that was literally bricking Windows 10 a couple moths ago.

1 Like

For the last 10 years nVidia's drivers have been pretty damn good, and ATi's have been shit. Then nVidia has a problem and you want to forget the past? Maybe I'm not totally objective, but after years of dealing with the nightmare that is AMD drivers, I'd just rather not. And considering that AMD doesn't make a high end card now, what difference does it make? AMD simply doesn't compete - at multiple levels.

Yes, because we are not living in the past.

That was the proper way to say this.

If that is true, why does 1060 exist, why is there 1050 preps for release and wht are Nvidia countering the AMD offers, if AMD does not compete?
High end cards are 10% of the market dude. 480 overtook the market by storm basically.

Neither am I. My nVidia drivers run great.

Great. AMD made a card that marginally outperforms mid-range cards from nVidia's last generation. What an accomplishment.

We know AMD has had bad drivers in the past, but to hold them on that is like holding NVidia against their GPUs being hot because the GTX 480 still holds the record for hottest GPU, doesn't make sense.

The GTX 970 wasn't mid range though, the 960 was mid range and was already stomped by the R9 380 to begin with. The GTX 970 was knocked down to mid range thanks to the RX 480 and GTX 1060, it was considered high end before. And are we really going to compare $200 GPUs to $300+ GPUs again, we know how that works. Besides, AMD's most powerful GPU is still the Fury X, which is near a GTX 1070.

I hope the GTX 1050 squeezes in between the RX 460 and RX 470 in performance nicely since the gap is too big, if it is like the RX 470/480 situation, it's going to be a tough choice between the two.

This might help a bit:

1 Like

It wasn't more than a couple weeks ago that AMDs drivers for the 480 were causing over voltages.

I guess that's the past.

So, don't buy AMD, because their drivers are bad, but we established, that lately, Nvidia's drivers were bad as well. Don't buy them to, because of bad drivers.
So are we stuck with Intel Integrated GPUs?

1 Like