GPU for 43" 4k to x4 1080p screens

Hello all, what GPU should I go with to drive the 43UD79-B’s 4 inputs to effectively have x4 1080p screens?

I’m not a gamer so I haven’t been tracking on GPUs a lot, but I’m leaning towards AMD because they don’t cause an issue if I re-purpose and use the card in a VM on ESXi. I also see myself only having freesync screens and not forking out for Gsync. I also have a thing for the underdog.

Back to the non-gamer part, is my google-foo right and I’m in about the worst time to be looking for an AMD GPU because of mining?

Anything really will drive it at this point i mean intel integrated graphics can run 4k. If your going to game ect that changes if you wanna run at 4k, but I have this monitor.

I want to use the four split screen feature though (not snap), so have to feed the monitor four inputs. Also I don’t like the scaling right now on the integrated graphics, its still all too big.

Why do you want to run all 4 as separate inputs, I run mine as two (one top one bottom that span the entire screen)

if it’s just for general use, something as cheap as a 7770 will run it without breaking a sweat. I don’t have that exact monitor but I use one of my 7770s to drive 4 monitors and it works fine.

3 Likes

Your supposta push the sale of one of your GPUs :stuck_out_tongue:

But on the real anything that has that many display outputs should probably work

Also the 2 screen split will keep scaling to be not shit as the screens displayed will be both 1080p

2 Likes

Agree with @KemoKa73 here. Depending on your CPU, the integrated graphics will push this no problem. However, the issue of having 4 x HDMI needed for the monitor inputs would require adapters depending on what motherboard you have. Might be easier (and cheaper, depending on adapters needed) to buy the cheapest video card you can to push 2 of the outputs. The low end cards won’t be effected by miners so prices should be reasonable.

So just find something with 2 display outputs(motherboard even) and run the panel in display mode where it makes 2160x1080 on top and bottom and will keep the scaling to not be bad.

2 Likes

This is the money right here- one HDMI and another DVI to HDMI adapter and now I have split screen landscape. I think this might even be better than x4 setup. At least will hold me over until I get a warm fuzzy on GPU prices with 4 outputs. When I was at fry’s getting the DVI to HDMI adapter, the employee confirmed to me that GPUs are not price matching or any other discounts (especially AMD).

For fun I also tried to connect USB 3.0 to the USB C on the monitor, Windows popped up a nasty gram message that either the OS or cable or monitor did not support USB 3.0 displayport- I think its my motherboard that does not support 3.0 to displayport- can only get three outputs from this MB (MSI z97 pc mate lga 1150). I was going to give the x4 a go with HDMI, DVI to HDMI, VGA to HDMI and one USB 3.0 to displayport (or no VGA to HDMI but daisy chain 3.0), but the MB won’t support this.

Some tips on the LG 43UD79‑B, some youtube reviews complain it does not have freesync, another complaint is the limited “PBP/PIP” options such as not being able to have two screens on top, one long landscape on the bottom.

If you download the OnScreen control software packaged in the CD, there are a lot more display configuration options and there is a freesync drop down (grayed out for me, I take it the monitor needs to be plugged into an AMD GPU to enable use of the drop down menu).

1 Like

Update to anyone thinking of this monitory, I had a very pleasant surprise today when connecting it to my T420’s docking station and switching over to that laptop (running Ubuntu). Ubuntu scaled perfectly, no need to run two display cables and split them on the monitor (make the PC think its connected to two ultrawides stacked on top of each other). Wow Windows, got a long way to come with scaling. So now to get a USB switch as a poor man’s kind of sort of KVM’ish setup.