Gpu concerns via ITX

I’m doing this itx build, right. I’m a little worried though. What if my RX580 is too big for a corsair 250D? I’m told the 1070 mini is pretty good, but I can’t trust nvidia drivers. Especially as I run arch.

So… What do? I thought about something like an R9 nano or a Fury X as those would fit perfectly, but then the ram is cut in half and idk how much faster the fury chip actually is to a 580. They are a bit up in age now…

What do you guys think?

Honestly, I don’t know at linux, but windows wise, the gaming performance between FuryX and 580 isn’t all that large.

Roughly 15-20%…
However, most 580s hould fit nicely in 250D…
See?

3 Likes

Oh fuck, well, alright then LOL.

Also, I’m not all gaming based on my gpu. I play with ai, use it to render videos and raster 3d model projects sometimes, F@H. I do lots.

Well, FuryX is a lot faster in those regards. I don’t really think the Vram is such big issue, since it scales better than many others in higher resolutions, but then again, if you really need lots of Vram for storage purposes, then you may have issues with the FuryX…
But I would stay with the 580 if I were you. It should fit fine in the case, unless it’s a 3 slot card or something…

Small follow up question… I could keep the 580 in the mac pro as it is, sell my mac pro 1,1, use the 3,1 as my render box… Would a vega be that much more of an upgrade?

Especially since navi is for the ps5. If it wouldn’t be that much more of an improvement I won’t worry about it.

Personally I think the 580 is well worth it. I’ve sold like 5 of those bad boys this year, it’s a great card for 1080p, puts you into pretty good 1440p, and can do most things from the GPU requirements very well. For $250 its well worth it, imo. I’ve been rolling on it for a while and just bought another one.

1 Like

Eh. If it’ll fit I’m not worried lol. But I’m still thinking on it. I’m not even definite on the 250D yet but I like the format of it.

this thing?

I don’t wanna tell you how I feel about ‘mini’ cases

ok I will

I don’t like them. The airflow is always questionable, they’re a pain in the ass to work on, and the last two I’ve put together with similar cases got hot af. Your Mileage may vary.

Well tte goal is 3 small stackable machines in the space of one. They don’t make the haf stacker anymore, so this is what I got.

Could use the Cooler Master CM Storm Elite 130

The other thing is the 250D can house all the drives I’d need. I can have 4 full drives, 2 laptop drives, etc.