Got an internship in a Machine shop/3d printing, need info

So recently I have gotten an internship where I am to spend the summer working for a company producing 3d printers for industrial purposes. To be clear the only knowledge I have going forth is Linux and basic highschool shop woodworking. I really don’t know where to go regarding learning about getting around a machine shop before I start. Now to clarify the guy who owns the place explained that he’ll show me how everything works and ultimately I’m going to put on their distribution of raspian on their raspberry pis they use as controllers, but still I would like to see where to go for info before hand so I’m not completely useless.

TL;DR: I don’t know shit about working in a machine shop (CNC, lathes, etc) & a bit more about 3d printing, where do I go for knowledge on the internet or personal experience?

@kewldude007 This question had somewhat you in mind, but posting to the community for more broad knowledge

Did he specify what you might be doing besides

put on their distribution of raspian on their raspberry pis they use as controllers

machining wise, like are you just watching a machine and changing out parts? cleaning/maintaining machines? setting up?

wouldnt happen to be Stratasys would it? although they dont use raspian :thinking:

3dmonstr is the name of the company, they use repiter running upon raspian for remote control & monitoring. In my full capacity as an intern I’m going to be manufacturing parts for the printers along with setup at opening for precision, but starting out I’m going to be just observing. Guy’s super into open source, which I appreciate, and is part of the reason he uses linux on his printers.

1 Like

wow that thing looks overbuilt

Anyway I can start off with what I have on me at all times, your mileage will vary however because I do more general things that being manual machines only and not production work

A 6" scale, this is my most used tool and this is the one I use

something to make marks with, I use a king size sharpie

A small file, I have some chinese triangle files that dull fast on hard materials but seeing you are dealing with aluminum that may not be an issue but you know me :us: :us: :us:
I

this exact knife

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Kalashnikov--2277

this knife is illegal in new jersey DO NOT BUY IT, box cutters are fine for most things

this flashlight

I keep all of this in a shopcoat

HOWEVER, I do not recommend you get all of this immediately, learn what you do and then judge what you may need from there.

Other invaluable things include but not limited to

calipers
no joke these harbor freight lasted me two years until I switched jobs and stopped using them
I have more expensive ones now but its unnecessary for beginners

toolbox (handheld) to put your stuff in, doesnt really matter what you get at first.

tagging @Steinwerks he is the cnc guy

1 Like

Thanks @kewldude007 for tagging me.

Following his advice, honestly I’d show up for your first day and ask for a list of needed tools (or send him an email for what he wants you to show up with, if anything).

If you’re going to start by watching to learn, he should be providing you the tools you need initially and show you how to use them before you need any of your own. He might not even want you to have your own tools (especially as an intern this would be a curious request IMO if you’re not a career machinist).

Once you find out what you’ll be running as far as CNC equipment goes I can probably offer more advice but for now you could get familiar with G-code; here’s a really basic beginner read: https://makezine.com/2016/10/24/get-to-know-your-cnc-how-to-read-g-code/

1 Like

Something to remember is that interns get hired with an expiry date and usually without a fancy precise vetting process.

In keeping with that the latitude you’ll be given at work will be limited since as a responsible shop they don’t want to end up relying on you.

Remember, whatever you make/come up with/set up/develop, make sure it’s a justified use of time, repeatable, and understandable.

Once they become more convinced in your skillset, they might choose to hire you longer term and might start relying on you. Before that, you might as well be a vendor/contractor - everything you make needs to be sellable and you’ll need a sales pitch.

Also, CNC :wink: