Got a new 4K TV and is confused about audio outputs

Yes

Optical from TV <—> Receiver

Ensure Xbox One X audio video settings are set for 4k and your TV should recognize the setting change

Ensure your TV’s audio settings are set the way you want for that optical out.

EDIT: This way, anything you’re playing on your TV gets high quality audio delivered to your sound system.

1 Like

I figured it out everyone, but even with ARC I cannot get uncompressed Dolby or DTS sound. It looks as if I might need to shop around for a new receiver with 4K HDMI inputs.

I wonder if Best Buy will allow me to bring in my Xbox One X and see if I can get full HDR10 and full 4K certification with a floor model receiver?

I was eyeing this receiver earlier this year.
https://www.onkyousa.com/product/home-theater/systems/ht-s7800/

As long as it supports HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 you will be able to do 4K

Apparently 3 HDMI ports are HDCP 2.2

As long as you connect to one of those inputs it’ll work fine

1 Like

I really hate the consumer electronic markets is pushing sound bars now, HDMI pass through seems to be more logical for other uncompressed audio options.

Some people doesn’t even know what ARC is, it gets over looked.

That’s because 99% of people don’t care. Almost everyone just uses the build in speakers of their TV and is done with it.
The market for people who are interested in pulling cable all through their living room is rather niche in comparison.
Soundbars aren’t meant to replace 5.1 Surround systems, but to be an easy upgrade for people who would otherwise just use their internal speakers. And that’s the market that has potential for growth. Speakers don’t age and rarely break. Same for Surround Recievers. We are at a point, where any speaker combination even enthusiasts would run can be done by any Reciever of the last 10 or so years.

And most soundbars explain ARC at least to the extend, that you know what to plug into where.

Finally, sound bars have gotten really good. No, they aren’t full 7.2 Surround, but they are getting close enough for most people. I’m looking at one too because i just can’t be bothered to set up 7 speakers anymore. I’ve been running stereo for 2 years now, as 99% of content i watch isn’t even surround. And with most surround setups that are in a reachable budget, you sacrifice quality for your Front speakers, making music sound noticably worse than you could with a pure Stereo Setup. I watch a film every 1 or 2 weeks. That’s about it.

So yeah. I can certainly see, why soundbars are appealing to customers and manufacturers atm.

1 Like

Fair points.

I would be content if I could extract the audio from the console with one HDMI cable then run another into the TV port just for video, and have the audio ran into the HDMI input on my system.