Google: There may or may not be a audio listener built on to Chrome

Let's not forget microwaves. Never use a microwave.

1 Like

And never go to the doctor. They have thermometers and USB buttplugs that will harvest all your data and dietary habits.

1 Like

The physiologists are the worst. They use words to brain wash you!!!!!

Let's evacuate the planet.

can you show me, if it prompts to enable when query is made on function to get data?

What do you mean?

I think it only listens when you are actually on the Google homepage, or the New Tab page. It's still scary that it could potentially listen at any time, but I don't think it actually does. Maybe we need to get microphones that have little LEDs when something is listening to them similarly to some webcams. On second thought that's probably impossible on the hardware level. It might be possible with software though. Anyway, I'm not too worried about it, but I can see why some people might be. This is a feature that can be disabled by simply navigating to google.com and disallowing it to access the microphone. What people should be more worried about is Android, which has a similar feature that, if configured in such a way, can be listening on any screen as long as the phone is awake, and some other phones can be listening even if the phone is sleeping. Of course, these features can be disabled too, so nothing to be too worried about.

P.S. NaCl stands for Native Client, a Chrome feature that allows Chrome apps and extensions to run native binary code, not sodium.

what i mean is how does it initiate itself. Can it be enabled from website code calling on this function? If so does it prompt you if you want to enable it or not? (just like with flash - flash prompts you by default when flash script wants to activate camera or mic, or get some special access)

its not that It impacts me in any way (I don't use Chrome, and i'm quite happy about that - i never fully trusted anyone.)

So, I checked this out on Chrome, and the option is there, but for me it's off by default, so....

could the audio capture stuff also happen to capture audio being played over the speakers and not just the microphone? Example: hangouts?

You do know this article was from a week ago. It's probably off now, that doesn't mean it was on before without your knowledge..

1 Like

True.

A serious response to a clearly sarcastic post:

My car has no GPS devices, I don't own a smart phone, I use cash for every in-person purchase or payment that I can.

You can be as transparent or as occluded as you like, it's not that hard to work on protecting your privacy if you so choose.

This is true. I am largely the same. It far from a shocker though about this.

Indeed. Chrome is one of 2 browsers I use (I watch a lot of video and Firefox doesn't like that much) simultaneously. I may have to find another "content browser".