Google Stadia

That map looks like places where you can peer with Google / POPs.
My guess is probably between 50-150 of those places will already have machines with GPUs deployed just sitting there waiting for software, and consumer hardware, and service deals to come together.

Also, Google already employs thousands of people directly and lots more indirectly building things way bigger than stadia, I don’t think stadia would add as many jobs as you might expect.

1 Like

Lots of sceptical people when it comes to stadia.
Im sure there will be an element of latency yes, but just think how many people you could be playing with but cant because they are on some other platform to yours. Stadia I feel will force cross platform to be the norm for all games.
I also think its a good way to see more games optimised for amd and the performance of things like polaris and vega can only get better as a result.

Personally if a was Sony I would be worried right now. Stadia just killed the ps5
And Microsoft… well Microsoft is just about the only company in gaming that could be a stadia competitor but the next gen xbox would need to be scrapped now and xbox version of stadia implemented instead.

Its a game changer and I think its clear to see its going to be massive

Cross platform is nice in some games (Minecraft), but for others, nobody asks for it.

2 Likes

Oh I would love to play that… I’m not paying Microsoft for it… Hello, google…

1 Like

Some money would still go to ms tho.

3 Likes

Well yeah, but when I get bored I can jump to another game and my Minecraft experience would have cost me about a dollar or two…

I wonder if Sony would use this service to allow PC gamers to play some exclusive games… I mean Google have all the money, so why not … I mean God of war anyone?

2 Likes

Ayyy. I woldnt mind playing some PlayStation exclusives.

1 Like

I mean I don’t mind them holding on to their current gen stuff… But I would really like to play Patapon without emulators… Maybe some Journey?

just an FYI Minecraft is available on Linux and it’s native, i.e no need to use WINE. Not sure if it’s on Mac. My understanding is that it’s already quite cross platform.

Because Java runs on everything, from bank cards to data centers.

1 Like

So just run every game on java then :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I am certainly not. Upping the price every few months for worse and worse content, no thanks.

4 Likes

Video compression is going to make any game that has lots of moving pixels look like crap. Think space sims where the background is stars, or things with lots of snow or confetti.

Can you imagine Sekiro? Oh my god it will be such a mess…
Although YouTube doesn’t make a lots of moving pixels look like ass, so maybe we are assuming wrong…?

Really wanna see this work, i think its gonna be quite the disaster in the first year or so.
Mind you, i sometimes get input lag from the controller on my couch to my console/PC on the rack, now add a whole damn network and streaming to that equation, i just can’t see it working right…

P.S.: I shouldn’t even care, to be honest, Google is not planning to launch Stadia in Brazil.

1 Like

Depends on the video and the device, really.

3 Likes

Completely off topic, have anyone played Sakiro? That looks such a particle cluster f@k… Overdesigned overpolished shiny souls like game…
On the few occasions during the trailer videos I was wondering what the hell am I looking at cause the particle effects was covering the entire screen.
Am I the only one that doesn’t like that?

While Youtube sometimes makes a mess out of videos, we should look at Twitch for examples.
Watching any stream, it turns to pacman the moment there is hard action. Hard action beeing the reason to play video games makes this a meh.

1 Like

Time to get peered into the internet back bone:

This is a joke

2 Likes

The thing is apparently people testing this were noticing a fair amount of the lag at GDC where Google was showing this off.

I mean if Google themselves, presumably in the perfect test environment can’t eliminate lag enough that people were not being put off by it at GDC in (theoretically) ideal conditions one-to-one it does make you wonder how this will scale to such a wide range of connections globally.

Im sure one day it will be ‘good enough’. There is probably a lot of interest from game companies seeing as it does away with DRM, Piracy and ownership entirely. A massive draw for $hareholders id imagine.

5 Likes