Google Stadia

So do I, but that’s why I would like to try them, cause there is the occasional gem worth money. Also the Indie games are cheaper, but still 20 bucks is a bit steep for me. So if I don’t like it - I won’t buy it.

2 Likes

Which is why i would use a Steam version, just to demo out some games for 30 mins. Consoles are enviable in that they offer so many Demo’s to try VS PC.

2 Likes

Consoles are completely different thing, dude…
The library is so limited, I don’t even consider them as an option.

PS4 - we have over 400 games…
GOG - we have over 4000 games.
Steam - we have over 40000 games…

Yeah, thanks, PS4…

Every gamer has their own wants and needs i guess. When i see the PS4 i also see PS3, PS2 and i believe now PS1 backwards compatibility… that’s a lot of games.

But yes, PC has way more choice. PC gaming is about choice.

(playing advocate) if this is majorly successful and MS, Valve, Epic, Google, [insert everyone else] goes full streaming then what incentive is their to make PC powerful hardware anymore ? I mean yes, the writing is on the wall… for every PC component, builders, modders and tech site like this to exist in the same capacity.

January yr 2030 lvl1tech news… " Google push an update and i eat a new flavour of skittles "

1 Like

I like that the people on a budget will be able to game more freely. I love it when services are cheap and accessible. And Google is very good at providing servicesto more areas than any other company out there.
That being said, I’m not going to use Stadia because I don’t have a need to.
If I want to play a game, I’ll just buy it. If I don’t like the game, I’ll refund it. And I’ll make damn sure I’ll be able to refund the game before I buy it.

I spent less than 10 minutes screening this topic and when I came to the end 27 new posts were added.

Exactly that.

2 Likes

There has to be overlap though. I play a few time-killing games on my phone and I’m sure others do as well, but beyond that I’m also fairly confident that there are people who would find service gaming like Stadia to be beneficial from an experience standpoint but have felt turned off by hardware requirements. It may not be a large segment, but I believe they have to exist.

Well, to expand I mean latency I am used to with settings I am happy with. Right now I tend to tune settings at 70+FPS on a Freesync display. The target is 8k 120Hz but I’m not expecting that for a while cough5Grolloutcough

I suppose I would define an enthusiast as someone who budgets for hardware or tinkers constantly and understands the intricacies of their components. One doesn’t have to be overly monied to be an enthusiast but it sure doesn’t hurt. I am very much in agreement with you in that “they won’t notice or care” is a divisive, elitist and patronizing attitude and I think we should fight that at every turn. I’m a person and that woman on the bus playing on her phone is a person and we probably both hate things that look like garbage (whatever our subjective standard for that is).

2 Likes

I can stand by that 100%

1 Like

On a re-read (and post-edit) I want to address this somewhat from my perspective.

While some apathy certainly exists (we are all apathetic about many things individually), at the same time I think it’s difficult to assign apathy to many people who are more concerned with lack of access. That’s my view on it, and Google is taking that tack hard with a “platform for everybody.”

The next question is where those overlap and someone without access is unapathetic enough to give it a pass anyway.

Appreciate the re-read. IMO google are doing this, but their reason is not for altruist reasons.

If i took the conversation too deep too soon, then il leave the topic because from a purely:
’ i get to play games differently now’ perspective i think it’s good.
But from a long term prospective hit to PC gaming, ownership and privacy (that’s a big one) i don’t see it being a net positive at least not at the moment.

2 Likes

Another point to consider: hardware agnosticism.

Stadia is playable on anything. No more budgeting for the hardware only to do so again 2-4 years later; no 1-3 year upgrade cycles. This is great for people who want to play games and NOT be enthusiasts. This is potentially bad for enthusiasts (or even just standalones) though I think as @anon97550313 and others have been saying.

I would challenge anyone to do anything for purely altruistic reasons :wink:

Fair. I haven’t put a lot of thought into it and I think it needs more before I develop a strong position.

1 Like

well yeah, but there is no backwards compatibility…

Something needs to run those servers… So there will be server hardware that renders stuff…
Also again I don’t think local PC gameplay is going anywhere, so there will still be people playing games at home. On top of that there are many more uses for powerful hardware than playing games. My CPU is completely underutilized for gaming, but is so good at videorendering and editing and all that jazz…

1 Like

Yeah, powerful computing options will still be there for the general market even if Stadia hits it huge and gets a cult following from the devs.

2 Likes

Hence I don’t buy them.

They are not giving you anything. They are letting you to play it. If I let you drive my car that doesn’t mean it belongs to you.

I seriously doubt it will be free of charge. Netflix is not free either. If it is free you will be eating your own words about the ads.

1 Like

i think i have put too much thought into it lol.

2 Likes

In cities car shares are popular because people dislike the burden of ownership. I don’t think Stadia is much different, except digital “ownership” is pretty low-burden already. I think Google sees the mental connection to this feeling and is running with it while they have the opportunity to be first to the market, and have the network to support it going forward.

3 Likes

So in future i just need to install a data centre in my living room to play cs:go. got it… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

apathy. laziness.

:wink:

1 Like

Netflix can’t really let you watch an ad in order to watch a movie, can they?
Have you seen the mobile market? Watch ad, here’s a bonus for your game. You lose 20 seconds, you get a bonus. Google can easily say “watch this ad, play an hour of a game”. Then remind you a couple minutes before time is up - watch another ad for another hour of free gaming. If you don’t want to - 5$ for add free moth. Your choice.
Yeah, I would watch their ads. I don’t care.

1 Like

Well if nothing else, i stoked up the conversation with my belligerence towards cloud streaming.

1 Like

But again, we are all apathetic. But my apathy is different from yours. Does that make us both wrong or just individuals with differing value perspectives? :thinking:

I’m being lazy right now sitting here typing instead of going hiking :wink:

2 Likes