Google’s Censorship, Plans to Restrict Publisher Advertising Raises Antitrust Issues

Google’s reason for rolling out its own adblocker appears to be that they want to cut out Adblock plus, because it dislikes being forced to fork over money to them; also, because it’ll allow them to strongarm those who currently aren’t customers of Google Adwords yet to sign up, by telling them that their current ads are “unacceptable” (hint, hint).

3 Likes

welp. been wanting to switch awatly from google for a while and this only helps that feeling.

Thanks though

2 Likes

Personally, I can’t help but feel that this was a little late to the game. Adds on many sites have just gotten so out of control that add block has become a necessity for me. Its been surprising that Google waited so long to roll this out but at the same time it isn’t since they are the largest online advertising company.

Unfortunately this appears to have less to do with helping the consumer and more to do with gaining control over the online advertising market. Considering how Google has been mistreating so many independent content creators on youtube lately, I really don’t want Google to be the arbiter of who gets advertising revenue and who doesn’t. I used to allow adds on youtube to help out those content creators I liked, but I’m about to turn addblock back on since most of the folks I like to watch aren’t getting monetized anyway. Its to the point, I’m just supporting creators directly through patreon now since Google obviously isn’t interested in my money or money generated from my add views.

2 Likes

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-21/one-statistics-professor-was-just-banned-google-here-his-story
"Have worked with both the Obama administration and advised on polling statistics for the Trump campaign"
Odd thing is this is an academic math site, and polling is often used to mislead rather then inform
Update:
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-08-22/google-folds-restores-accounts-statistics-professor
Poor guy was reduced to begging for his contacts list from his gmail account.
Finally released from the digital island of Patmos

there’s been some stats analysis that show concrete proof of supression in demonetized content too.

2 Likes