Google Play Store Alternative?

ApkMirror — Web apks only (no app) — no signin req | Security?? Monatization??
Aptoide — App only (no web apks) — no signin req | Security?? Pirated??
AppBrain — App — signin req — SECURE | ORIGINAL | MONATIZED | adv / analytics?
ApkPure — Web apks & App — no signin req | unsecure | unknown authors | pirated
Amazonrequires amazon app store to stay installed to let keep apps functioning -------------
f-droid — App & web — no signin req | VERY SECURE | ORIGINAL | DONATED | FOSS

• AppBrain seems the best after f-droid as they say “AppBrain doesn’t do any longer term user tracking or profile building, don’t pass on personal information to third parties and have set a short retention span of the data, after which the data is anonymized.” and is GDPR compliant.

• I am only including these app stores because they have either huge appbase OR significantly secure / malware free. Thus i am excluding other stores like slideme, getjar et cetera.

• Despite all the goodness of AppBrain, it does NOT provide the apk of its own app store. which is Weird…

• I know f-droid is great, but sometimes you need other necessary apps where their developers themselves don’t provide apks independently. Example: Protonmail, Signal (apk provided very hidden), firefox, protonVPN, twitter…

What do you think? What is the suppliment to f-droid & secure replacement to google play store ?

If it’s only about the account and not because it’s google in general, you could use Yalp or Aurora. They pull the apk from the play store, but don’t require an account (at least not a personal one). I used them for a bit and sometimes they are hit and miss about the connection, but work fine otherwise. Aurora tends to crash on me quite a bit but noone else seems to have that issue so… IDK.

Yalp or Aurora have built in google analytics?

These are the only others of which I know:

slideme
uptodown
apkupdater

It’d be nice to have a FOSS store that doesn’t require sign-in, but as far as I’m aware only f-droid comes close. As for protonmail has on okay website on mobile, and there are other alternatives to signal that are available on f-droid.

Not sure, haven’t looked at it. But at least Aurora shows that for downloadable apps too.

/edit
Both are open source and on f-droid BTW.

Yalp / Arora Store works. Get play store apps directly, no sign in.
:dagger::iphone:
*AppBrain does not download, only lists and redirects to Play Store

1 Like

Problem I have with those is that they don’t work for me most of the time because they can’t get auth tokens or just randomly crash for no apparent reason…
When they work they’re great tho

or last resort . .
. . You can always create WebApps and add to your home.

They handle endless scrolling webpages & twitter much better than browser.

https://f-droid.org/packages/com.tobykurien.webapps