Google confirms custom AMD GPU will power their upcoming game streaming service

1 Like

This is all fine and good…

Betting ISP’s will find a way to mess things up

Betting Agit Pai already wants to classify gaming video streams (seperate to normal video data streams) as its own seperate pricing tier.

1 Like

Wow, that’s quite a lag before the video actually starts:
1:13 is post-ad

Low tier YouTuber so that’s to be expected.

OT: I’m definitely gonna buy the Google controller when it comes out, any word on release date?

1 Like

Google plans on launching Stadia in the US, UK, Canada, and “most of” Europe sometime in 2019. Controller should be available around the same time then.

1 Like

It looks nice, the xbone controller is great but it seems to have quality issues.
Both of mine had squeaky triggers.

1 Like

I know your probably not overly concerned as your already on the windows 10. But the controller comes with built in google assistant. So that’s not really going to be much different from having a google home or whatever it’s called on chrome when you talk near the Mic on Android and it serves you ads on the things you have been discussing.

Perhaps not for you but for others to consider who might be a tiny bit privacy conscious. The way around this is to use a 3rd party controller.

2 Likes

Yeah I already have a android phone, Google is basically a blood relative at this point.

3 Likes

lol. fair enough.

1 Like

So is this to make specialized GPUs that are optimized for SR IOV because even with that I don’t really see the point to doing that since there are already plenty on the market. I know it’s cool to think that there’s some custom, special sauce that’s gonna make it so much better but I don’t really see how this is really gonna improve anything especially the more weird/custom/proprietary silicon they use, the more difficult it could be to scale up later on. If they try to use one of those weird GPUs AMD launched a while ago that had NVMe ssds on them I get how maybe they could be useful in some applications they might make it more difficult if they design the system with these things in mind. In my mind their best bet would be to choose something other then x86 just simply because only two companies can make it though Epyc is a hard deal to pass up for this kind of project. The big thing for this streaming service is gonna be good resource allocation, low latency compression, and the ability to deploy this nearly anywhere. So they will most likely have to use some form of hardware based encoding as software based will be very inefficient as well as having high levels of latency. I also heard that they were having the controller connect directly to Google’s servers. Not sure how that is done. Whether it’s a cellular network or it connects directly to home WiFi I can see how it could improve it a bit but not any more than having a very low latency wireless connection to your PC like Logitech’s Lightspeed technology (that might not be the name, it’s cool though). So overall, very cool, not sure how custom GPUs are gonna help, but cool. Thoughts?

1 Like

afaik the AMD GPU is just the parts bin prosumer vega56 card with extra HBM RAM. Secondly Google have been in talks with Major video game engine devs for a while, the games are mostly going to be native Linux builds using Vulkan… again afaik.

It’s a cut down Radeon Instinct 25 I believe.

that’s what i said albeit in more dumby words.

Wonder why they didn’t opt for MI50(7nm Vega), price shouldn’t be too different, although I was unable to find MI50 price.

i don’t know. But i do remember reading how many data centers use off the shelf HDD’s because there cheap and reliable enough… could it be that these radeon parts were discounted heavily due to their relative age and capability ?

Definitely, it’s also a nice opportunity for AMD to honor their wafer agreement with Glofo.
AMD was smart about mostly selling Vega dies as Frontier or Instinct cards.

3 Likes

I heard there are all ready two games signed up as such, i was not listening to the radio when they said which two. Whether it stays that way or not remains to be seen, if this service fails or undersells they may do a general release.

Stay with me here. What if the service is underutilised and instead they spin it so they stream games that would never run on any home set up. Like they just throw all the unused power at the problem and instead of not use it they get games that are so far ahead that piracy is no longer a problem as they just won’t run at home regardless if you can get them or not.

That is just a mad idea I had and it hinges on both the platform not being used enough and developers making games that are several hardware generations ahead of where we are now.

In another direction of the hacking thing. It may be that you get one chance at it. So do you strike and get the early exclusives and then be patched out or do you wait for a cache of exclusive games and take them all? Would hackers be able to resist the fame and glory of Hacking Google!

1 Like

And maybe it just lags more than a 1990’s turbo diesel.

1 Like

What we’re forgetting right now is that the hip thing is to go to the game storefront with the least commission, and that is…

EPIC GAMES STORE.

The definition of hypocrisy when they themselves were anti-UWP and talked about the threat it posed and how moving to Linux wasn’t out of the question, to abandon all of that to focus on their own storefront for WINDOWS ONLY.

At this point, Steam has to ride out this hipster movement or compete by, say, offering less commission for using Vulkan.