Google Chrome translates without permission.. Need help :D

Hello,

I have this probelm with Google Chrome. For example in youtube, it wants to translate some video titles to finnish, tho I would like to keep them in english and I have never needed translation for english. In the screenshot you can see the actual video title in top left corner, and main title under video feed gets translated. Same happens on some other sites too, and it is very random when it happens. Also it happens only on some titles, not all.

• I have not set any other languages in Chrome settings other than English and American English.
  • I have unchecked “Offer to translate pages that aren’t in a language you read”.
  • I have also tried checking the box above.
  • Even my Windows is in english, and doesnt have Finnish language pack installed.
  • Windows location setting, timezone and keyboard layout are in Finnish for obvious reasons.
  • Laptop is Dell Precision M4800 (i7-4710MQ, 16GB, nVidia Quadro K2100M)
  • Windows is 7 Pro SP1 updated
  • Chrome is up to date “Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)”

Please share any ideas you may have :blush:

Jussi, Finland

1 Like

Right click anywhere on the page, and you should have translation options.

2 Likes

Sooooo… right click gives me button “translate to english” which actually fixed the issue on that page, now the title is in english.

But why am I required to do that when it was originally in english in the first place and google just decides nope, you dont want this in english. You want finnish! only this one title tho… :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

edit: when i refresh, its back in finnish

Ah, it could be the location or language option in the YouTube options. Apparently it auto translates titles(?)

Is it also doing it not on YouTube?

2 Likes

Yeah this is a Youtube “feature”, they roll it out to different people/regions at different times. It seems to be an option that the video creator can set. This is why it is not consistent. It started like 2 months back on my account, I think. To me this is very annoying because I watch videos in three different languages and the translation makes it very confusing and sometimes it’s really bad.

I have not found an option to turn it off yet though. If I change my language settings it simply translates to other languages. I can see that this can be a useful feature, but it is very annoying for peoplewatching videos in more than one language.

2 Likes

Fixed! Thank you!

I dont watch many Finnish videos so I just set whole youtube to english and its all fine now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes