Google apparently plans to release their own adblocker

Yeah from a business perspective insight into who your giving an ad to is very valuable. It allows for more efficient use of ads.

Google does have options for turning things like personalised add off which is good, I’m not sure if Facebook has an option like this? Out of the two I’ve found facebook to be the creepy one with the user tracking tied to ads tied to their like button that you don’t even need to press.

1 Like

yes it helps them target but i say shotgun it and all static single pane ads that are images no java or flash etc allowed.

I agree on static ads. I’m not sure you could successfully convince that personalised ads should go away to any company, it’s just far to valuable a product.

Even some shops show ads to customers going through there shops personalised to them based on male/female, clothes, height, etc. Automatically.

More realistically we probably have to push for strict controls and strict guidelines on what and how advertiser’s can do.

1 Like

There is that…but as far as I am concerned a revaluing of website ad space is more important. I understand it will never happen…

I mean… if we really don’t want ads the option is easy, pay the site your visiting. That’s an option here (unless they just stopped doing ads) you could get patreon or the old Tek support and have no ads on the site.

I much prefer no ads at all.

1 Like

ugh facebook one of the worst business offenders in my book.
just ad a crypto miner page and let people idle on it and remove ads all together. or make a wed page that has all of your ads on it that has to be clicked to get into. and have it hidden away. bottom line we all hate ads and ads have been dead to me since i got semi security conscious.

I do not mind ads as long as they are not intrusive and they are revelant. A bonus if it supports the site itself. Ad injection and personalize ads and whatever else they may call it is intrusive and manipulative. Let alone the security risks.

An ad is rare thing for me to see…

1 Like

Actually no, it’s a coalition between multiple companies (to avoid the “exploiting of quasi-monopoly” accusations). The guidelines aren’t set by Google alone.

Well yeah, that’s not the goal of this one though, but that’s where privacy badger comes into play :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ads never bothered me, as long as they were relevant. That couldn’t be further from accurate at this point.

I am aware certain analytics have to be run for extreme accuracy, and I allowed it. They still failed. Miserably.

Jamming Amon Amarth, Black Label Society, Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, and Five Finger Death Punch == Ads for Taylor Swift and Black Eyed Peas.

Ublock Origin, NoScript, and Ghostery all day.

1 Like