Good option for a 8-16 port home switch?

i have the managed version of it and it also works pretty well. I do not think mine has had a single firmware update since release though. Not a big deal but he did want something that was supported.

Ahh gotcha. That’s why I like dummy switches in this regard.

Pretty much what my netgear switches are for, just dummy switching.

Anyone used the Ubiquiti switching gear or the cisco SG300 stuff? experience with it?

I already have a Ubiquiti AP which im happy with.

If you want to have 10Gib speed ready you could get the Mikrotik L3 switch that I asked about a few months ago.

I’ve heard good things about their equipment. Any experience with any of their stuff?

Not personally, but this thread I made about it should answer your questions.

tldr; yes, they’re excellent.

1 Like

I have this one for 2 years now and pretty happy with it so far.

Though I have to admit I haven’t used most of the features on it yet, mostly using it as a dumb switch.

I think there was also a version with PoE ports, but I can’t find it right now.

Lol, look 6 posts up.

Not the same switch. The one you linked is unmanaged.

Found the PoE version:

What I mean for you to glean was that two people both recommending similar TP Link hardware in close proximity.

TP-Link are an option, but one that’s at the bottom of my list for various reasons.

Mikrotik look promising, not just because they are also fairly local. Software of their RouterOS for example looks extremely capable, and seems to have almost anything you’d ever need (they have a web demo).

The price point also seems quite good.

i have a ubiquiti switch,cloud key, ap, and cameras. I enjoy the ease of use and support that ubiquiti offers. In my opinion if you want good features and long term support i would go with ubiquiti. Stay away from tp-link because of the support. Good switch but in terms of support it is lacking.

Mikrotik or Ubiquiti non-poe switches

I have not used Ubiquiti switches personally but a colleague says they are good if you don’t need all the fancy features of something like a Cisco switch.
They have the same easy setup as the APs and are well integrated into that system.

I’d second the used Cisco switch route. ebay is full of older cisco equipment, and for home use the lack of support won’t be an issue really.

You’ll get vlans, port channels, remote management, all the enterprise goodies (well… layer 2 anyway - at least up to the point where software updates for the switch were cut off) and if you’re in any way interested in getting into enterprise networking, having Cisco experience under your belt is a plus.

That said - as mentioned above, some of them are noisy. Anything with more than 48 ports (e.g., 4500s, 6500s, etc.) is going to be loud. IF it needs to be quiet, you definitely want to steer clear of switches with a 4000 model number or higher (mostly chassis based stuff and other datacentre focused models where noise is not a concern at all). 29xx series and 3xxx series are workgroup focused and MUCH less noisy (8 port 2960s are silent).

If you’re looking for 16 ports, maybe consider a pair of 2960G-8TC-Ls, if you can find them cheap on ebay.

They have 8 ports each, no fan (only the 8 port 2960s have no fan - the 24 and 48 port models arent too loud tho) and gigabit ethernet.

If you don’t need gigabit, the non-G model 2960-8TC-L is the same thing with 100 meg ports and 1 gig uplink port. POE model has a P in the model name but only available in 100 meg.

These things are pretty indestructible, i’ve had a few for over a decade and they’re still fine. They get powered off during power outages or to move house, otherwise they’d stay up forever.

1 Like

I would also support Cisco or Meraki as a valid option. Both are good. I found Meraki to be a bit easier to set up as a newbie, but cisco is pretty easy once you get the commands and all down. As Thro said, Ebay is lousy with slightly older equipment that will work fantastically.

Are these quiet? I’m looking for something similar, but it’s going to be in a place where I don’t want a leaf blower running 24/7. A quiet (think desktop PC fan) fan is okay, but one of those turbines is not so much.

@Eden, did you wind up making a decision? Primary needs are 802.3ad, 802.1q, quiet and 16+ ports PoE is a plus.

Not yet, i’m leaning towards the ubiquity just for the integration and ease of use. Plan to get something next month and will make a decision, but its almost certainly going to be ubiquiti or the Mikrotik

Yeah, I’ve got a nearly complete ubiquiti stack.

ER lite, 2x UAP-pro, UNMS in a VM. I guess I should complete the stack with a Ubiquiti switch (that 24p variant is calling my name in a creepy whisper)

ooh and it’s prime. RIP my wallet.

How do you find the various other ubiquiti equipment? At the moment mine is just their AP.