Good option for a 8-16 port home switch?

Any recommendations? Price isn’t a huge issue. But i want a company that supports the hardware and has some trust behind them. Some PoE ports would be useful, as would a managed switch in the long run.

At the moment i mainly have netgear dumb switches, they do the job but ill be needed something with more ports and more functionality to replace them.

minimal noise is desirable as well.

Unifi switches are nice and poe options also available.

There is a 16 port version but it kind gets pricey.

Cisco Catalyst 2960 can be obtained for $50 used.

1 Like

There is the noise issues with that though, and lack of any more support for those switches. (though support is less of an issue over noise as long as its not vulnerable to something ridiculous)

Did not think of the noise. They certainly are leaf blowers.

Unifi switches are quiet. Well at least the small ones. Have no experience with larger ones and the support will be there.

Cisco SG300 in whatever port variant you want. They’re all L3 managed switches and some support PoE

This is what I have.

Its awesome. Nearly silent, metal chassis. Low power. Non blocking 24 port gigabit switch. Only thing it doesn’t have is SFTP+ ports but no really that big a deal if you only use gigabit but needs a good amount of devices.

Note: it is not manage. This is only a layer 2 switch.

1 Like

i have the managed version of it and it also works pretty well. I do not think mine has had a single firmware update since release though. Not a big deal but he did want something that was supported.

Ahh gotcha. That’s why I like dummy switches in this regard.

Pretty much what my netgear switches are for, just dummy switching.

Anyone used the Ubiquiti switching gear or the cisco SG300 stuff? experience with it?

I already have a Ubiquiti AP which im happy with.

If you want to have 10Gib speed ready you could get the Mikrotik L3 switch that I asked about a few months ago.

I’ve heard good things about their equipment. Any experience with any of their stuff?

Not personally, but this thread I made about it should answer your questions.

tldr; yes, they’re excellent.

1 Like

I have this one for 2 years now and pretty happy with it so far.

Though I have to admit I haven’t used most of the features on it yet, mostly using it as a dumb switch.

I think there was also a version with PoE ports, but I can’t find it right now.

Lol, look 6 posts up.

Not the same switch. The one you linked is unmanaged.

Found the PoE version:

What I mean for you to glean was that two people both recommending similar TP Link hardware in close proximity.

TP-Link are an option, but one that’s at the bottom of my list for various reasons.

Mikrotik look promising, not just because they are also fairly local. Software of their RouterOS for example looks extremely capable, and seems to have almost anything you’d ever need (they have a web demo).

The price point also seems quite good.

i have a ubiquiti switch,cloud key, ap, and cameras. I enjoy the ease of use and support that ubiquiti offers. In my opinion if you want good features and long term support i would go with ubiquiti. Stay away from tp-link because of the support. Good switch but in terms of support it is lacking.