Good MOBO for a 9590

Well my friend built his pc and is having freezing issues and has to restart manually. Im almost positive its his mobo thats causing the issues since his cpu is going crazy. temps core speeds and usage fluctuate very high and rapidly, im not sure if this is how 9590s are supposed to work but my i5 stays put until i actually stress it. His current specs are
CPU:9590
MOB: asus M5A97 LE R2.0
PSU: 800 watt or 1k i think not sure brand either

The motherbaord cant exceed $180. he would prefer the cheapest dont think he is aiming for OC

Return the 9590 and get a Xeon 1231v3 instead

Otherwise if he's stuck with it, you need a strong PSU

and the sabertooth board is probably the best AM3+ board overall

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131877

Yeaaa don't think he would want to do that. Hed rather scrap the build than buy a new gpu and mobo lol
Thats the board that i recommended him to get

Well, the 9590 is really not a good choice for anything I don't think

Followed by the Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0

Which is then followed by the M5A99X EVO R2.0

I hate to disagree... the sabertooth boards VRMs use doublers.. 4+1 *2 to make 8+2... the Crosshair formula - Z is honestly the best and it has all its true phases in the vrm and it does not use doublers.. its a better board.... Id go with it

Also why the 9590?

for a amd 9590 you are looking at top end boards from asus or asrock not second from the top but freaking top end otherwise you do run the risk of frying the board and processor.

Ya but that one's like 200 dollars

you get what you pay for

Yeah but its really the only one that can reliably handle that much power distribution... Im worried the sabertooth will not do so well at all

onoly option is a $200 plus board for a 9590. 99% of the lower priced boards will crap out you want a 9590 then you gotta pay the high mobo admission price

Thanks for the fast input from everyone. I sent the link to this thread to my friend so he can answer some of yalls anwers tomorrow, more than likely from my account.

the EVO R2 cant handle an FX9xxx, But it is a damn good board....but I may be biased as i use one.

Oh, I thought they were pretty much the same board aside from PCIe shenanigans.
The more you know I suppose.

I, sir am incorrect. It is not on the officially supported list, but you are correct the only difference is the PCI stuff. The VRMs are the same and will support the 9590 so the more I know.

• Asus crosshair V Formula Z 8+2 powerphase digi vrm
  • Asrock 990FX Extreme 9 12+2 powerphase digi vrm
  • Asus 990FX Sabertooth R2.0 8+2 powerphase digi vrm.

These are 3 boards that i would recommend to run a FX9590 on properly.

2 Likes

thanks for the help will be ordering one tomorrow sorry for the late reply was out of state for the weekend. I'm going to create my own account as well. hopefully this will definitely work we tried to rule out everything before buying a new one.

ok I can grab any of those 3 but which one would you prefer?

Hah, I remember this build from awhile ago. Your friend went and bought a 9590 and stuck it in one crappy motherboard instead of getting an i5 which we recommended.

ASRock has had a lot of quality issues on the AM3+ socket, even recently. The quality isn't up to the task. I'd go with the Asus Crosshair, Sabertooth, or M5A99fx Pro R2.0

All those boards can handle the 9590 with no problem. You're not going to be overclocking the 9590 anyway - its an overclocked 8350 outputting heat like a small sun.

The Asus crosshair V Formula Z by far is the best AM3+ board is existance.

Well that does not count for the Asrock 990FX Extreme 9.
But the Asus crosshair V Formula Z is the better board feuture wise.