Good linux IDE's?

Looking into getting back to Assembly full swing. I have forgotten a lot and I don't feel like breaking Eclipse to do what I want it to when I started. I know visual studio code has everything on the face of the planet attachable but I don't trust anything that comes out of M$. I want to use an IDE that can parse on the fly and tell me errors, work with C, python, and many kinds of assembly, and that is open source. The only other thing I can think of that meets my reqs is Notepad++ and that really doesn't count.

Any ideas?

1 Like

Eclipse can do everything and there are all the plugins available for it. One I particularly like lately is atom.io. It's still pretty fresh, but there are already lots of plugins available and I think it works really well for the things I've tried with it, mainly coding and programming MCU's dircetly from atom.io.

3 Likes

netbeans is good but not sure on the assembly support

1 Like

I really like vim. its like text file editor.
and i really like the plugins that they have all of them are on git hub.
Its really fast to run. even on a 10 or 15 year old computer

2 Likes

If I was going to use vim I mould use nano or E35/64. Lol. I might look at E as a matter of fact...

1 Like

anything by jetbrains.

1 Like

++ to vim
On the graphical side, Atom has been fairly pleasant to use.

Guys, the post says IDE's, not text editors.

I know Viim is awesome, but its not what OP wants.

1 Like

I use Eclipse for C++ / C / Python. It works, but it's not great. The thing is though, I haven't really found any better IDE. I tried JetBrains a while a go when they released their C++ IDE. But wasn't too impressed. Maybe it's better now.

+1 for Atom, I've started using it recently as an alternative to Brackets and its been developed a lot since it's inception

I guess I'll get atom and VSCode then.

Give SASM a try.
https://dman95.github.io/SASM/english.html

I use VScode it has really nice Git integration, but the middle click paste is very screwed up on Arch Linux, for me anyways and they dont seem very interested in fixing it:-(

I dont like the text selection functionality either, even nedit has better:-)

I also like Sublime if that had Git I would prefer to use that - probably.

uhhhhh yeah it does?

Yer, not quite as sweet as the way VScode does it, but good point:-)

I also really like the right click 'find all references' in VScode, super useful. Which there probably is a setting or key in Sublime for, I just stopped looking.

I guess I liked Vscode feature set and ease of use initially, they made it simple by design, I like that. There are a few cons but overall its good and free!

But hey I was using nedit and gdb for years so I guess I have progressed a little:-)

I say run with Sublime or Atom, you can get Linters and all sorts of customizations to do whatever you like !

1 Like

Don’t like Microsoft, use VSCode every day for work. Hammers for nails mate, it’s the most pragmatic choice for most things.

Yes!!! Great necro!!!

1 Like

LOL I was literally thinking of this thread.

Did not even notice, haha. Disregard me. Edit: Ended up here cause of the suggested topics thing at the bottom and assumed it was current

1 Like