Good Alternative to Google Domains?

I am trying to cutover from the old domain-dot-com world (it seems like an old hosting site, and without 2FA feeling more insecure by the year) but I also don’t want to go to Google for my domain access. I am really making an effort to get off the Google train and cut my own course with email, websites, etc. I struggle to find a good domain host. I hear GoDaddy used to be garbage to deal with so perhaps not them? Just looking for some advice on a modern, secure, and easy to work with domain provider.

Much appreciated!

1 Like

Try gandi.net

1 Like

I use name cheap.

4 Likes

namecheap for generic stuff, I’ve had no issues setting up records and stuff on it, 1stdomains.nz for my .nz ones, which I’ve only just got so not sure on ease of use for them yet.

I use them as well, they’ve always been good

1 Like

I renewed domains on both Namecheap and Gandi today. I second recommendations for both.

The reason I use both is because Namecheap has perpetual promos. Always use a promo code when registering a new domain with them.

Non-affiliate promo link:
https://www.namecheap.com/promos/coupons/

Gandi’s support for things like DNSSEC was more robust, and they tend to be a bit more innovate than other domain registrars. Namecheap is reliable and cost effective, especially for first time registrations of a domain.

Both companies consider a free and open internet to be a core part of their business model. Both have participated in awareness campaigns when new laws threaten to harm the internet.

6 Likes

Register elsewhere then transfer to CloudFlare

Long time Namecheap customer here who swears by them, but this is very much true. Took forever for Namecheap to support DNSSEC for some of the TLDs I use.

I use Namecheap because well, they had the best pricing with promos. Overall, I have been happy with them.

The only downside I have encountered is that their DNS API is not great for use with letsencrypt. Apparently, some people have had major issues getting the API enabled at all. You have to whitelist specific IPs that are allowed to use the API, so if you setup a new VPS or your home IP changes, you have to add it to the whitelist. Also, there is not a way to just change one thing, you have to download the entire configuration, then re-upload the entire thing with changes which is not ideal for reliability and security.

They do allow you to specify your own DNS though, so if you want to use letsencypt DNS wildcard certificates, then you can just switch to another DNS provider.

i’ve been moving my domains to namecheap - the product is good and it’s…well…cheap. I had been using Hover which I liked for a long time but they tend to be more expensive than name cheap so I’ve been moving away.