Going to College need laptop under $500

I really want some truly wise advice about if I should get the  Essential G500 Laptop - 59372002 or the i5 version of that with a terabyte hard drive and 8 gigs of ram 1600 Mhz.

http://www.cnet.com/laptops/lenovo-essential-g500-59372002/4505-3121_7-35769652.html 

I have a ton of other laptops I can choose from, but my problom comes in here my parents will pay up to $500 including the antivirus, warenties, and maybe even windows 365 univercity if I get a laptop from Best Buy! Not that I have to go with Best Buy. I will go with any laptop as long as it is at least pentium 2220 or better and has 4 gigs of RAM Preferably 6, but I don't have to have it. I will work with AMD if you compare the same equivilent. I have an external 1Tb hd. I would love to know the advantages of hybrid drives and if I should be considering getting one. It doesn't have to be an Ultrabook I want most preformance for my buck. By my buck I mean anything outside of 500 I pay for. 

Would this be better in the long run if I just get a laptop that I am just going to try to resale In 4 years? Or even make it a throw away laptop.

I'm not to familiar with laptps but this seems pretty good,

The laptop.

Well ya I know, but what I really want to know is if it would be better to get a cheaper laptop. I might just throw away that laptop in (4+ years when I'm out of College) and get some desktop that has some Super inteligence network or something. 

Depends on what you're going to uni for. If you're going to use the laptop for scientific projects or for computing, you're not going to use Windows anyway, and you're probably going to use GNU/Linux. In that case, there is no benefit in getting the latest and greatest hardware at all, because on a computing platform like linux, and contrary to a media consumption consumer platform like Windows, the latency in evolution of hardware support is really apparent, so you'll be better off with a 6-12 months old laptop than with a latest model one, because you won't be able to really use the benefit of the newer hardware in terms of computing efficiency, and you might even experience some bugginess that you would only expect from a closed source system, as the quality standards are much lower there than for open source software. For instance, you won't be able to really use all the benefits of the Intel Haswell platform until linux kernel 3.11, which isn't officially released yet, or even 3.12 as far as some graphics functions are concerned, which will not be released in the next 6 months. Intel graphics work very well with linux, and for a non-gaming laptop or even a moderate gaming laptop, there is no real benefit in investing in dedicated graphics solutions when you're going to use GNU/Linux.

I would always advise getting a used laptop with a bit more screen resolution and a lot of connectivity options, over a brand new lower grade one, because you'll basically never be satisfied with the lower grade one, and you'll buy another one anyway, and that's throwing away money.

I would also always advise getting an Asus laptop from the mid- or high-end ranges, and especially the N series laptops are a good compromise, they have pretty fast hardware, pretty good build quality and serviceability in comparison to anything else except expensive pro grade laptops from dell, lenovo, sony and toshiba, and very good connectivity (hdmi out for second screen, esata, pci express, a lot of usb ports, optical drive, standard LAN-connector), with a decent resolution screen, a good battery, and a more solid feeling keyboard that's suitable for a lot of typing. New they cost about 800-900 USD, nearly new or in a student promo you can get them for 500-600 USD, a one year old used one in very good condition costs less than 500 USD. Ask your local Asus distributor if there are any refurbs available, Asus sends info on refurbs to their customers directly, and doesn't publish it on their website, so you'll have to call the distributor or Asus themselves to find out if there is anything available. I have bought several of these over the years, and they are just like new products, come with a warranty, and have been thoroughly factory cleaned and wiped. If you're going to use GNU/Linux - which is highly probable in uni - Asus laptops are a good choice because Asus submits the keybindings of their hardware keys (volume controls, brightness controls, wifi switch etc), and they work out of the box with the linux kernel, without the need of special drivers or config work, and the Asus proprietary hardware power management system is also supported by the linux kernel natively.

If you find an Asus N series 17" laptop, you'll have dual drive bays, so you could use a large capacity mechanical HDD for storage and a fast SSD for the operating system internally, and you'll have a slightly larger and more comfortable keyboard and a higher resolution screen, but it will be slightly less portable.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=8370867&sku=A180-156322&SRCCODE=WEM3730BY&cm_mmc=email-_-Main-_-WEM3730-_-tigeremail3730&utm_source=EML&utm_medium=main&utm_campaign=WEM3730&[email protected]

Look Zolten I don't want to spend more than $500 on my computer! I want a good computer thats at least dual core intell or 3-4 core Amd. It must be at least 4 gigs of ram with 1 year of full company depot warenty. Meaning if something breaks while I'm useing it they will fix it or replace it within that year. I don't care that much if it's an ultrabook. Asus doesn't provide that I don't think.

If you're not gonna game, just get anything cheap... Laptops are already terrible and in 4 years? Yeah, it'll be trash... (even "gaming" laptops turn into trash in 4 years...)

this is what i'll reccomend for a good all around system http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+K-Series+15.6%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+6GB+Memory+-+750GB+Hard+Drive+-+Indigo/7525157.p?id=1218848535039&skuId=7525157

little on the heavy side and amd isn't the best for battery life, but an a8 is quite powerfull, should match if not beat most mobile i3/i5, with plenty of graphics power

What I really was trying to get at is I want a computer that has

least dual core intell or 3-4 core Amd.

It must be at least 4 gigs of ram

1 year of full company depot warenty.   I want to find a laptop that has pretty good preformance and I can get like windows 365, with good security software, and that will not cost me more than $200 more than the computer.

In other words I want the best bang for your buck that has security, warenty depot,  and has windows 365 or some compareable software. I am going to be majoring in business. I don't know a lot about gnu  Linnex software, but from what I do know it's platform is 100% custumisable. I don't know if I want that.

Even the like 2.4 Ghz proccesers that are quad core in the newest generation. Even those really fast i5's. What about Asus I hear they have amazing hardware. I might game a little I mean it's college right. You got to game sometime right? Also what type of "gameing" laptops do you mean?

Even the like 2.4 Ghz proccesers that are quad core in the newest generation. Even those really fast i5's. What about Asus I hear they have amazing hardware. I might game a little I mean it's college right. You got to game sometime right? Also what type of "gameing" laptops do you mean?

I think my final canadats are going to be 1.Asus K55N-DS81 15.6" LED Notebook Computer, AMD A8-4500M Quad Core 1.9GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD From Best Buy 449.99 or ADORAMA $434.95,ASUS VivoBook X202E-DH31T 11.6-Inch Touch Laptop 439.99, Lenovo Windows 8 Home Premium, BlackEssential G500 Laptop - 59372002 - Black: DOORBUSTER, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Geek+Squad+Certified+Refurbished+ENVY+15.6%26%2334%3B+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+Natural+Silver/7810091.p?id=1218860884878&skuId=7810091#tab=specifications this one is a maybe.

The Asus K55 seems like a pretty good deal with Win8 on it. It will also be capable of light gaming because it's an APU with better graphics card than the Intel iGPUs.

If you feel better buying new than refurbished, then get a new one, and the Asus has an aluminium reinforced chassis and all, and it's a 15.6", so standard backpack formfactor. And if you need to clean the internal fan or do other maintenance on it, an Asus is always more easy to open up and close back again without trouble, Asus HybridEngine actually works and gives great battery life and performance. And if you feel that you need to install GNU/Linux later on, it's been proven that AMD APU systems work very well on linux. So all boxes checked, right?

Ya my only rant about referbished is they tend to only have 3 mounths of warenty and most of the time that doesn't include labor. I don't know much about GNU/linix so I probably won't get that. However if I find Linnix to be everything I want and more I have a build suggestions that you can post on.

Also who thinks its a good idea to get starters back for win8.

So which is better the BlackEssential G500 Laptop - 59372002 - Black: DOORBUSTER ends Augest 1 or the asus K55N everone has been recomending.

I also would Like to know how I can buy direct from asus?

Ok so I want peoples opinion on this Is The ASUS K55N a laptop that you can do moderate gaming on?