Gnome-disk-utility died [solved]

hello everyone,

i am new in the forum(loove wendel :)) and just today i got a problem.

i cant start the gnome-disk-utility and i am getting this:

$ gnome-disks

(gnome-disks:2088): GNOME-Disks-ERROR **: Error getting udisks client: Error calling StartServiceByName for   org.freedesktop.UDisks2: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut: Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.UDisks2': timed out
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

the OS is Antergos.
(this is my first time so if you need some more info tell me)

nikk

maybe you could try to purge and re-install the application?

i ran sudo pacman -Rsc and reinstalled but nothing.

Hey,

Are you allowed to start it with only user privileges? Tried sudo gnome-disks ?

I don't use udisks myself, so can't be of much help, but what does your system logs say?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/udisks

Actions a user can perform using udisks are restricted with Polkit.

Could be something related to user privilege then. Doesn't explain why you would get a timeout, rather than a more specific error message, though, so could be a red herring.

$ sudo gnome-disks
[sudo] password for budos: 

(gnome-disks:3401): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_new_sync: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION       (connection)' failed

(gnome-disks:3401): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_get_name_owner: assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_PROXY (proxy)' failed

(gnome-disks:3401): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to get an inhibit portal proxy: The name org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop is not owned

(gnome-disks:3401): GNOME-Disks-ERROR **: Error getting udisks client: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.UDisks2: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut: Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.UDisks2': timed out
Trace/breakpoint trap

What happens if you type udisksctl status ?

Also check the wiki page I linked to in the edit above, if you haven't already : )

i am getting:

$ udisksctl status
Error connecting to the udisks daemon: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.UDisks2: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut: Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.UDisks2': timed out

i think i was a case of "bad" electricity.
10 min ago the electricity went out.
a coffee maker was forgoten on and did trigger the safety at some point.
now with the coffemaker out of the way it is smooth sailing ;D.
everything works again. IDK but my pc is working.

how do i mark this as solved?

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know that you resolved the issue.
Then i will lock this thread for now.