Gmail for throwaway accounts

So, in addition to creating a separate mail account for all the junk that you care less about, does anyone use the + feature to see which /if any company shares/ sells your mail address?

Came across this old article, and it seems to still work, so [email protected] will receive [email protected] and also [email protected]

2 Likes

I used to do that, but I got my own domain awhile back and now just use, for example, "[email protected]".

1 Like

I’ve kind of given up and just rely on spam filtering doing its thing.

It doesn’t do anything to stop the spam, but it does let you know which jerkoffs sold your address or got hacked.

1 Like

I have a few less important junk accounts on GMX, it doesn’t ask for anything too personal, not even a phone number and you can fake the IDs pretty easily.
Their spam filter seems to be pretty decent as well.

:S my main email accounts are throwaways i make specific emails for different people depending on how important it could be. my main gmail is used for spam so is my hotmail account. if i am expecting work emails i make an account just for those emails and for just that one company. then if i move on i make another new email for the new work and abandon all old emails. simpler and more efficient than going whats spam and whats important.

I use Spamgourmet for the same purpose for ~5 years now and from what I can tell only the sites I registered to seem to be spamming me, no foreign adresses yet.

I used to register for unlimited free trials with the [email protected]

Just kept registering with a different +“whatever” and a new trial would start.

Probably still works depending on the service too

I didn’t know that was a thing. That’s pretty neat. I might try that the next time I sign up for something.

Gmail also ignores periods.

[email protected]

Will lead to the same inbox as

[email protected]

Useful for getting multiple free trials.

1 Like

Yeah, or just do [email protected], [email protected], and so on.