Glxgears funny story

So guys,

I just installed ubuntu in a vm on my sisters old laptop running Amd A4 apu. It had hardware acceleration enabled so it is using the gpu. Similarly I have a debian chroot running on my s7e utilzing the soc and the underlying kernal. Funny thing is in glxgears my s7e trades blows easily with the apu.

S7e:

Apu:

Dont know if I should commend arm or laugh at the a4 :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

glxgears is not a good benchmark for performance.

my intergrated graphics and dedicated gpu do about the same in glxgears but the dedicated gpu is many many times faster

The GUI affects ( effects? ) the performance of the benchmark.

If you were to use TWM like the other system is, you would get way more fps.

Just saying...

I would also also give a congrats to ARM. That's not all that bad.

Well of course I'm not saying its the end all to benchmarks, I'm not saying the arm soc is a better gaming device (though android games using vulkan are amazing) but it does "bench" opengl render poweress for render apps. Like arm could be used to visualize simulation data with paraview or blender based on this.

Also I'm pretty sure dedicated gpu should get more ? My gtx 970 gets over 10k fps, but it seems the a4 gpu isn't as strong

I agree, also this is the exynos version so its gpu isn't as good as snapdragon. Also that's weird, shouldnt the dedicated gpu score more ? My gtx 970 goes over 10k. Also if I run lxde or xfce on xterm the fps doesn't waver as much. I would still get similar results! But still this is good, this means the soc can be used to visualize simulation data using paraview or blender. Awesome. I don't except the chroot to game but under android it can game fine!

1 Like

I have a question. How did you manage to get hardware acceleration in chrooted ubuntu and get opengl as well? Please