GlobalFoundries abandoning 7nm, 5nm and 3nm

falling for the bait

What’s wrong with finfet?

Don’t hate me for not wanting to do math before having coffee. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I that’s going to make AMD seriously competitive. Especially if pricing stays around the same.

I imagine higher infinity fabric speed, a much more advanced chiplet design (possibly a much more advanced interposer design), general improvements, etc. The power of zen isnt so much from the cores but the chiplet design. scales well and is cheap.

Clock speed wise im assuming around 4.7GHz but that could be powerful if they have do more than quad channel on main stream

1 Like

Someone’s been watching AdoredTV.

Seriousness though, I agree with pretty much everything you’re saying here.

The cores are good well-rounded, power efficient cores that get a huge benefit from interposers. But that really doesn’t matter when it comes down to mainstream because it’s a single die.

5GHZ limit basically. Why should 5GHZ be the only goal?

Also aren’t we at manufacture limit now?

1 Like

I was already seriously considering upgrading from my 1700x to Ryzen 2 next year but if the improvements in silicon are that good alone it would be a whopper of an upgrade. Especially if XFR is so damned good you don’t need to manually overclock.

Use 3.8Ghz as a base reference Apply 1.35X
3800 * 1.35 = 5130

2 Likes

That’s still pretty damn good.

And are we talking about that 5130 being the stock speed or the silicon limit?

Not familiar with this… Do you have some sources I can get more info from?

Meaning we can’t go smaller than 7nm?

He ends up being pretty close to the mark most of the time.

But there is nothing stopping them from using multi die on mainstream if they can get it to work on the motherboards properly.

Threadripper/eypc is going to be interesting though

Could be better though. Hell, could do a new process and go bigc / little endian switchable and get the most out of the chips possible

but no one listens to me so meh

Just the normal boost speed out of box.
While using half the power for the same number of cores if clocked the same.
So expect 65 & 95W TDP parts with some hefty performance improvements.

I listen to you, but you’re not always reasonable.

Like this, for example, It sounds like a lot of complexity for a relatively small gain. Also sounds like POWER to me. Don’t we already have that?

Stop it! I’m not going to be able to contain my enthusiasm!

Meaning its gunna be a tight fit. Besides, I don’t see a push for smaller than nanometer, do you? A process change will have to come sooner or later, or a material change.

Just looking at the current numbers. No 6GHZ OC on the market from what I have seen.

I think we’re going to see a material change soon.

7nm might get us there. Sounds like Zen 2 is gonna be on a good process, but we’re unlikely to hit 6GHz on the first go.

Also, we have seen 7GHz on different chips before, under LN2. Are we talking stable or suicide runs?

I’ll be honest, 1st gen Zen is going to look a bit amateurish in comparison.
And that’s just process improvements, I didn’t even get to the Zen 2 core architecture improvements.

1 Like

Damn. Are we talking latency improvements?

1 Like

I’ve seen a P4 do 8Ghz before. :laughing:
And that wasn’t even a suicide run.

4 Likes

I’m talking normal workstation performance. A 9590 can run at 5.2GHZ just fine under efficient cooling and run stable. I want to see another 9590 in the next few years.

The pipeline on the FX chips is entirely different though, it was longer and had simpler stages thus making high clocks much easier to attain.

Same goes for the Pentium 4 netburst architecture, intel built that to clock high, but it had a high branch mis-prediction cost as a penality among other things.

It was also a much bigger node with different gate design that could tolerate much higher leakage among various other side effects which allowed higher clocks without loosing stability too much.

That said you will see something much much better than a 9590.
Zen 2 will make a 9590 look like your granpa’s Celeron 233,

3 Likes

All this discussion is a painful reminder that I don’t know very much about processor design.

3 Likes

Well it is a series of tubes