Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master Linux spit & polish thread

In these hallowed halls, the Master seems to be the go-to for a Ryzen 3000 high-end, Linux, and VFIO motherboard. There’s the perfect UEFI settings thread, but that’s OS-agnostic and IMHO should stay that way.
The Master runs Linux pretty well out of the box, but it isn’t perfect, and I thought, why not make a thread to iron out the kinks, share tweaks, and so on.

At the moment I’m all questions, but I could keep the first post current, and answer questions, if there’s interest.
[Until and unless otherwise noted, I’m on BIOS f5l, Mint 19.2 (= Ubuntu 18.04), with full HWE stack (currently 5.0-ish kernel) and ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa]

• hardware monitoring: The SuperIO is a ITE IT8688E. it87 can see it, but gives me only a fraction of the available fans & sensors, and the values I get aren’t very plausible for the most part. There used to be an out-of-tree version, but I can’t seem to find it anymore. k10temp appears to work. Haven’t had time to look into getting CPU frequencies, voltages, and such, yet.

• audio: spec sheet says Realtek ALC1220-VB with ESS SABRE9118. It’s recognised and everything looks fine, but there’s no output by default on the back panel line-out. Plug detection works, though. If I switch the output from ~“line-out (plugged-in)” to “headphones (unplugged)” in pavcontrol, I do get sound. Can’t do that in Mint’s default mixer, because that sensibly only shows the line-out output.

5 Likes

I got the same issue with the audio on kernel 5.3-rc3. It seems like the ESS DAC is not activated on the rear panel port.

1 Like

I stumbled on the same issue with audio. There are apparently two workarounds:

1. Plug you speakers into the Black Line Out port, you will then have audio output (it’s the one just over the normal input)
  2. If you have pluseaudio switch your port to headphones, audio will output from the normal Green Line Out port. If you are running headphones on the front panel you will have to play around with the Auto-Mute Mode in the alsamixer

I’m still hoping for a fix that avoids using those workarounds.

1 Like

For Hardware monitoring did you try this https://github.com/xdarklight/hwmon-it87 ?

I am not using the same board, but above solved my sensor problems. Only thing left is label it to friendly names, Remove some sensor output .

root@aicdad:~# dmesg |grep it87
[    1.399960] it87: loading out-of-tree module taints kernel.
[    1.399988] it87: module verification failed: signature and/or required key missing - tainting kernel
[    1.400253] it87: it87 driver version unknown
[    1.400294] it87: Found IT8686E chip at 0xa40, revision 2
[    1.400320] it87: Beeping is supported
[    1.401266] it87: Found IT8792E/IT8795E chip at 0xa60, revision 3
[    1.401295] it87: Beeping is supported

Don’t expect the module to be upstream. If this works install it as dkms module and set option on module to ignore conflict.

Same here, no speaker rear output when I removed headphones (connected to a front panel). I disabled the auto-mute with alsamixer, et voilà.

There was a Github issue on that specific chip, but of course the original source code was deleted and nobody is interested in adding to the driver, rather only maintaining read-only mirrors of the original:

I also have no output from the Realtek on my Aorus Master X570.

The audio is working properly after I followed this solution (OP posted his own solution). Super easy fix (patch).

Hello everybody,

I created a kernel-patch which completely fixes the line-out problems of the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master by applying a workaround/quirk that repairs the DAC/mixer connection path. The patch is based on 5.6-rc2 and is proposed on LKML [see: https:// lkml .org/lkml/2020/2/23/22] in the hope that it will be included in Linux 5.6 (a little late for that) or 5.7. If you are on Linux 5.5 you can use the this [see: https:// pastebin .com/tbYXxAcy] patch.

Have a nice sunday,
Chris

EDIT: Sorry for the broken links - new users can’t create real Hyperlinks…