Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard

I’m trying to plan a “simple” upgrade, but i have doubts about the mainboard.
The upgrade plan:
AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor
G.Skill - Flare X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
and finally the doubt:

Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard

Is this a good/stable mainboard? i don’t overclock, i use mainly Linux and sometimes Windows.
Are there some other better options wihout spending a huge amount of money? (like the asus hero VII)

Thanks for your time

If you don’t overclock don’t bother with the Ryzen 7 2700x. Heck anything and Ryzen when it comes to overclocking is a joke.

Basiclly yes it should be an okayish… board if you dont really care for overclocking,
assuming they have their bios for Ryzen stabelized by now.

I have not looked at the vrm part of that particular board yet.
But i hope to have some more info on that soon.

I would consider this to be the opposite of a logical decision. Performance on the 2700X is nearly at parity with the same chip overclocked.

Unless you’re saying “don’t bother with Ryzen at all” which is hard to pull from your post.

Also the Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 is a really decent board,
wenn it comes to its vrm design and overall build quality.
But that board might be a littlebit steap in price aswell.

The Asrock X470 Taichi will also be a very decent choice.

The Asus crosshair VII Hero is definitely a board that comes with its price.
But this is mainlly because of its massive vrm implementation.
Since you dont really care for overclocking that much,
it wont really make much sense to spend all that money towards the Asus crosshair VII Hero.

If you like Asus, then i could definitelly recomment to take a look at the Asus X470 Strix gaming board.

I didn’t say not to bother with Ryzen at all. I said they were not good overclockers and it has shown to be true.

The sentence reads like someone would only want the 2700X for overclocking. That’s my point.

Thanks a lot to all of you, i’ll stick with the gigabyte then.

Whatever you do, don’t rely on that motherboard to be completely stable. The entire X470 AORUS series so far has had tons of problems with corrupting the BIOS.

Mine decided to corrupt the main BIOS ROM randomly and now I’m stuck with running from the backup ROM chip with no way to flash the main ROM. I literally rebooted my Windows 10 installation about 70 days after purchase only to have it corrupt the main BIOS and leave me with a black screen and endless cycling between CPU and RAM status LED’s on the board.

The only way to remedy this is to hold the power and reset buttons for 10 seconds in order to switch to the backup ROM. Only problem is that if you turn off the power from your power supply, you get stuck back on your toasted main BIOS until you do that procedure again.

This is apparently not an uncommon problem. Check Gigabyte’s forums and user/customer reviews on sites like Amazon. It’s affecting the 7, 5 and Ultra Gaming seemingly equally.

The shame is that I’ve been using Gigabyte hardware for more than 12 years now and have never had a single issue only to now find that when I actually need help, their support staff is basically now useless and likes to pretend that nothing is wrong with these boards and it’s just bad luck.

Their idea of a solution is to ignore most threads on their forums and only respond to super-bad reviews to expedite the RMA process if you’re lucky. The current “resolution” they’re rolling out for those with affected boards is to send a replacement, some of which of those will also experience the same problems.

Another dangerous thing about the 5 and the Ultra Gaming, but not the 7, is that the default voltages for the 2600, 2600X, 2700 and 2700X are INSANELY HIGH. We’re talking 1.45v+ at STOCK SPEEDS! I’m running with a forced pstate all-core overclock of 4.1GHz at 1.285v just to be sure not to fry my $300 CPU!

So again, for your sake and the sake of everyone else with one of these boards, make sure you have a backup in place.