Gigabyte TRX40 Designare - A few questions about the board

Hi there, I posted these questions on the Aorus Discord, however, I don’t know how many folks there have the board.

About the build - AMD Threadripper 3960X on the Gigabyte TRX40 Designare board, 128GB, 2- 1080Tis, Lots of NVMe with an EKWB custom loop with and a couple 560mm radiators.

Ok now the questions:
1.) I’m still trying to figure out why the M.2 drives aren’t being detected in two of the slots, M2Q and M2M. The manual shows a that these slots do not share with an existing PCIe slot. Is there a beta BIOS around, or a definitive thread somewhere for discussions of the BIOS? I remember building my 1950x when it came out and the beta bios releases definitely saved this board.

2.) Is there a way to control the fans, other than the BIOS smartfan setting? I have two EKWB cable splitters (4 fans x 2) going to the pump controller and the associated pump fan headers (5 and 6). The default SmartFan options have the fans rising up and down with moving the mouse - adjusting to most dynamic curves are not great.

The SmartFan application, when installed appears to not work, as there’s no UI to speak of. I’ve set the fan at 55% and the CPU is around 24-41C idle.

The biggest issue related to the fans, is obviously the noise. I’m looking for a solution to bring the sound down (this build is used as a DAW machine in a VI cluster).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. If the expected result is the two M.2 slots should work, I’ll send the board back, so if there are suggestions for a comparable board with working thunderbolt (multiple UAD interfaces), I’m open to those suggestions as well, but I would like to get this board working.

Thanks!

There’s a good discussion of Gigabyte fan curves over at Ryzen 5 3600 temperature / fan speed questions

TLDR: yeah the default fan curves suck because these Zen2-based CPUs have fairly big temp spikes. Observe your typical min & max temps at low load and set a manual curve that stays constant over that range.

As far as NVMe I have 970 Pros in both those slots without a problem.

Thanks. I just swapped the 950s I had in those slots with the other on-board M.2 slots and they don’t register there, of with a standard M.2 to PCIe adapter. There appears to be an incompatibility with that model. Maybe a BIOS update will fix it.

I have a similar fan curve, but maybe I’ll take the suggestions from the thread and test them. Thanks again for the confirmation on those slots, I was about to pack up the board.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.